Are 1902 swords supposed to be loose in the scabbard?

kquest

I am new to military swords, so I must ask. Are 1902 swords supposed to be loose in the scabbard? Should there be an insert in the throat of the scabbard to "grip" the blade similar to the M-1 bayonet scabbards? The one I have simply has an opening at the throat wider than the blade held in place by two screws. Thank you.

Depends on the manufacturer; some of the M1902s are quite cheaply constructed.

There are no spring-type "grips" for M1902 blades; they are nickeled and etched, and such a setup would damage the blade. Usually there are two strips of wood inside the scabbard, one on each side, that protect the blade from the scabbard and dampen the rattle.

Hi,

I took a close look inside the scabbard. There are no wooden strips inside, just the metal. There is a cap held in place with 2 screws that have some kind of red sealer on the threads. Is there a way to fabricate these "runners"I have attached a photo of the throat.

Thank you,post-13704-0-28358200-1418001846.jpg

I Have an example of an Eickhorn pre WWII M1902 with phosphor bronze springs. Most of the higher quality M1902's would have two wood strip liners that may have helped keep the blade in. Primarily the wood of some other fibrous material protected the blade from the the rough surface inside the scabbard.This link will show the 'spring' type..http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?107637-US-Model-1902-unusual-variations&highlight=us+military+schools