loose parts

camillus

They are made with a pressure fit from the factory. The leather would have to expand for it to truly fit correctly and that's the issue; how to make the leather expand.

The only way I have found to take up the slack is to wrap fine thread into the space between the guard and the handle and then some bonding agent to keep it all in place. If the knife is purely a collectors piece than leave it as it is. There is more value to the collector if untouched than bubbafied. :)

If its not to serious you may try to steam it.Boil some water and hold it over the steam.I have tried it and had some success.You dont want to over do it as the leather can turn a little rough.If that happnes you can smooth it back with a real fine grit sand paper.

I then treated the handle with a little black rock after it had cooled down and dried a little.the treatment will hold in the moisture and help in keeping it from shrinking.

The knife I did was an early USMC kabar that had seen a lot of salt water.It wasnt going to hurt it as the knife had seen a hard life.It turned out well enough for my needs.

ya i have the same problem on my new RH Pal 36 handle i got it today and the guard and the end not the blade but the end of the handle are loose if it was a normal knife i would just duck tape it but its military and so ya idk LOL (not trying to hi jack sorry if i did) anyway ya. -ray

The steaming is a slow process.Rotating the knife so to do both sides are steamed.You can lay the handle over the pan od boiling water as well and make a foil tent to trap the steam but you have to really watch it as it will roughen the leather.Patience is the key.

thanks, in a knife forum I was first in one guy said he treated a knife with sno seal because in plumped the leather and won't harm the leather , it contains beeswax and silicone. But I imagine it would be bad for a collectable knife, maybe a thin layer after moisturizing Thanks Mike