rubber handle

camillus

The short answer is that there is no record (yet) that the US ever issued a rubber handled M4. Rubber handles were put on WWII M4s as early as the Korean War (maybe). They were made with a rubber that looked over melted and had noticeable errors on most I've seen. Then in the sixties, a much better rubber handled M4 was made, likely by the South Korean gov't. These are the ones that are now making their way through the market. As you have discovered, there is not much information out there about these rubber handled bayonets. Hope this helps a little. Anyone out there with better information, feel free.

Marv

skips lost photos 118.jpgCamillus- Marv pretty much gave you all any of us know on the rubber handled M4s. One further note, there were also M3s converted to M4 bayonets, also w/ rubber handles. SKIP

was there a variation of the M4 with a rubber handle, there are a couple on ebay but I can't find anything about them Thanks Mike

Greetings Camillus,

This forum comes with a great search engine, many of your questions or concerns have been asked over the years. Try a few phrases searches (first) in the forums' you are interested in and you will find many answers already posted. Here are just two examples, which are available for review on this one subject, there are more as well. Try using the search engine and you will find more often than not, a question has been asked once (or more) before and been covered as well as possible.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182806-rubber-grip-m4/?hl=%2Brubber+%2Bhandle&do=findComment&comment=1409176

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/117210-rubber-handle-m4-bayonet-old-subject-new-question/?hl=%2Brubber+%2Bhandle

Regards,

Lance

thanks for the links very informative, but how do you search

Greetings Camillus,

Go to the forum you are interested in and then scroll to the top right of the screen . There you will find a blank search box, type in your search term(s) and hit enter. Bingo, too easy.

Regards,

Lance

In looking at the referenced threads, my father's rubber handled M4 bayonet is not pictured because I used Photobucket. Here is the picture of the bayonet he carried in Korea 1952-53. Although not shown, it has a Hemphill (H in a shield) marked lock plate.

post-11546-0-59176300-1417472468.jpg