A Vietnam war era incountry made Hotel Troop 16th Cavalry patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Thanksgiving all!
I haven't posted any Vietnam war era Army Aviation related pieces for awhile so in honor of one of my most favorite Holidays,Thanksgiving,I thought I would post this incountry made piece.

The unit it represents is Hotel Troop,16th Cavalry.I love the "Snoopy" and the slogan "Hope the Blue can save me now"! :)

I don't have a whole lot of info on this unit except what I will post below.If anyone has anything additional to add please feel free to do so.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Here is some info about the unit that I found:

Troop F, 9th Cavalry (Air Cavalry), June 1971-August 1972,transferred to the 12th Aviation Group
Troop F, 9th Cavalry was formed in Vietnam as Troop H, 16th Cavalry, a designation never approved by the Department of the Army. Properly Troop F, 9th Cavalry, its true designation was not used in Vietnam until the May 1972 time frame. Many records of the period June 1971-May 1972 show this particular unit under its unauthorized designation.

Source: Vietnam Order of Battle: A Complete Illustrated Reference to U.S. Army Combat and Support Forces in Vietnam 1961-1973 by Shelby L. Stanton

post-13386-0-68294800-1417102800.jpg

Looks like his Hotel is under severe attack.But as we all know the Snoopster will prevail.Great piece of insignia thanks for showing it.Scotty

Looks like his Hotel is under severe attack.But as we all know the Snoopster will prevail.Great piece of insignia thanks for showing it.Scotty

Yeah, if he could lock horns with the Red Baron on more than one occasion and make it through, he certainly could overcome Charlie :D

Curse You Red Baron!!!!

post-34986-0-33151300-1417106109.jpg

Great patch and a great find by the way PCollector.

post-34986-0-42221300-1417106044.jpg

H/16 was formed using the assets of B/1/9 Cav. You will find patch mottos carrying through each of the units that are basically the same. The "Scouts Kill" patch is a prime example.

IH

The octagon was the door identifier of H/16 hence the patch shape. B/1/9 had a yellow square. F/9 inherited the yellow pentagon from F/1/9 but it was not long in use.

IH

post-12336-0-41757900-1417110484.jpg

respectingthesacrifice

Hi Steve

very nice patch as usual. I don't collect Vietnam ones but love this one!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Eric

That is a cool patch PC. You can't lose with Snoopy patches. IH , that is a great group of patches and great info. Here is an arc/scroll that would go with the the H troop theme.

Mitch

post-592-0-83885100-1417200711.jpg

Patchcollector

Thanks Mitch.I agree,Snoopy is da "man" :lol: ,and while he is popular with everyone,the Troops in Nam seemed to have a special place in their hearts for him.I have at least 3 or 4 more different Vietnam war era pieces in my collection that have "the Snoop" on them.As for your scroll;I must say that is one of the nicest Nam made scrolls I have ever seen.

The lettering on the others I've seen is usually quite "messy".

respectingthesacrifice

Thanks Mitch.I agree,Snoopy is da "man" :lol: ,and while he is popular with everyone,the Troops in Nam seemed to have a special place in their hearts for him.I have at least 3 or 4 more different Vietnam war era pieces in my collection that have "the Snoop" on them.As for your scroll;I must say that is one of the nicest Nam made scrolls I have ever seen.

The lettering on the others I've seen is usually quite "messy".

I would love to see a dedicated post with Snoopy patches. Just throwing the idea in the forum if you guys could share the ones you have in your collections?

thanks in advance

Eric

Patchcollector

I would love to see a dedicated post with Snoopy patches. Just throwing the idea in the forum if you guys could share the ones you have in your collections?

thanks in advance

Eric

You know Eric,when I was typing the post to Mitch about Snoopy,I was having the same thought.Snoopy is very popular with the Troops,and was especially so during the Vietnam war.When I have the spare time to do so,I will go through my patches and try and find all the Snoopy related ones to post.

• 2 years later...