Recent Purchase Date?

danbadger

Hello,

have got this chopper helmet very recently, not really an expert so over to you guys. The labels are all gone so would like to try and age to a year roughly. The paint work looks like a second over coat of what was already existing so not sure when that would have been done? maybe to take home as momento had it repainted early seventies or done more recently than that?

what do you think?

Dan

post-84997-0-67769700-1417093850.jpg

post-84997-0-61655800-1417093862.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/85860-vietnam-era-helicopter-pilots-helmet/

this has given me a bit to go on so looks like an SPH-4 as to year the leather points towards late sixties? though there are some discrepencies such as the boom mic is it original? be nice to get some expert input I'd really like to work out the history of this helmet and whether it was at the location of An Khe as it suggests. What date were the 1st Cav there and when did they leave? was this helmet 68-69 manufacture or later as this would blow the chance maybe of originality, by all means chip in as I know you guys know more than me...

I have some other kit with this helmet and would like to try and piece the history if poss, be nice to get some facts behind it ....

Nailing down an exact date on these can be tricky if the tag is missing. They just did not change very much for the first ten years or so. It does have the leather and snap design of the early version. The chinstrap is the early one. I'm not sure that the black mics made it to Vietnam, but that's a common later addition. You may want to look at some of the other components for dates. Sometimes the ear cushions, cords, visors etc. can be dated.

Hey...also put down the visor and check under the visor cover with a pen light. Many times the covers are marked on the underside.

The 1st Cavalry Division, or elements thereof, was in Vietnam from August 1965 until June 1972. The division headquarters was located at Camp Radcliff outside An Khe.

The "Flying Circus" was apparently a nickname adopted by the Aviation Section, HHC, 1st Brigade, at least from what I could find.

"Flying Circus" website: http://www.flying-circus.org/

The aviation section is a small unit that directly supports the brigade HHC and it does not contain a medevac company. Not saying the helmet markings are fake or anything, just that they seem to contradict the actual organization of the unit.

Many thanks for the info so far all very helpful, the guy I bought this from said he got it in the 80's which would make you think that faking it at that time wouldn't be very profitable but I know that without proof as we all know what a guy selling militaria says don't count too much.... I also have the shirt that goes with this which I will post in the aviation clothing section very soon so would like opinions of that as well so maybe can get closer to the facts.... it is patched but patches are way out of my comfort zone at the moment...