US Navy Officers Sword

asemery

Here is my US Navy Officer's sword. I purchased it in 1965 on completiing OCS in Newport, R.I. A major expense for me at the time. I think I wore it a total of 5 times. There is a black leather carrying case, not shown, that has the words GEMSCO and VITALON printed in gold in the inside flap.

SRLqwHe.jpg

3sCP2Mm.jpg

wAeuHQv.jpg

GEMSCO is the trade name for Gem Silver Company in Newark, NJ. They have been around for a long time as sword dealers and military outfitters. I don't recognize the VITALON name.

GEMSCO is the trade name for Gem Silver Company in Newark, NJ. They have been around for a long time as sword dealers and military outfitters. I don't recognize the VITALON name.

Thanks for the Gemsco information. I heard that it was German company.

The same person told me that Vitalon is the name given to the fake sharkskin in the handle grip.

• 3 weeks later...

This one was made by Weyersburg, Kerschbaum Cie., Solingen Germany for Gemsco and others; including Hillborn and Hamburger, Wolf Brown, Vanguard, Zubco, and Boston Uniform. The N.S.Meyer Co., New York, was supplied by Karl Eickhorn, Solingen Germany.

Here is a helpful rule; any sword marked stainless was made after 1960.

Thanks for the Gemsco information. I heard that it was German company.

The same person told me that Vitalon is the name given to the fake sharkskin in the handle grip.

Vitalon is the trade name for the flexible case plastic.case. The Grip is an unknown thermal plastic.

Vitalon was used by 1938

post-55097-0-64538500-1418695123.gif

http://trademarks.justia.com/714/11/vitalon-71411147.html

Gemsco used as early as 1920 but registered later

post-55097-0-08252900-1418695337.gif

http://trademarks.justia.com/715/65/gemsco-71565485.html

It is nice to see swords preserved and remaining with the original owner. The condition doesn't get much better than this.

Cheers

GC