WWII 8th Air Force Pilot Uniform

Airman86

Hey all! I acquired this this uniform a couple of weeks ago at a local military show. Everything appears to be period correct and I just love the way it displays! I think the cherry on top of the sundae was the "Crusher" cap which just sets everything off. Uniform is named, but its so faded that I cant make it out which is why I didn't photo it. Let me know what you think!

post-153919-0-89960100-1417041401.jpg

Beautiful bullion patches really set the uniform apart. the threading on the Air Corps patch is coming off just a bit but I don't think detract from the overall appearance and the 8th Air Force bullion is just perfect in condition.

post-153919-0-33918300-1417042019.jpg

post-153919-0-24627600-1417042061.jpg

Looks good from what I can see. I can remember getting my first manikin and suiting it up with an 8th Air Force officer's uniform back in the 70's. It's always very gratifying seeing that image from history right before your eyes! Back in the day we didn't give a damn who it was named to or what size it was - we were just happy to get something cool. Keep it light and keep on having entirely too much fun!

Sometimes when you photograph a faded name you can see it more clearly in the picture.

Try taking it at an angle.

That 8th AAF patch is righteous !

Very Nice!

If its no inconvenience to you, could you post a picture of the name? Who knows, maybe the picture will show the name better and you can put a person and a story to the uniform.

This is all I could make out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I also don't know if this may just be a manufacturers stamp or not also. If somebody could help me ID this I would be eternally grateful lol.

post-153919-0-45106900-1417045207.jpg

Thank you! The mannequin is a Yank's. They make specialty mannequins that are smaller for vintage/antique uniforms.

Aegerter? or something like it?

Your mannequin is very small!

The uniform and cap are great, though.

-Brian

gotcha.. I'm sure with some situating the uniform will sit on it much more nicely.

What will you do about the large hat though?

looks like the pilot who wore this uniform was perhaps a "normal" (21st century) size?

-Brian

gotcha.. I'm sure with some situating the uniform will sit on it much more nicely.

What will you do about the large hat though?

looks like the pilot who wore this uniform was perhaps a "normal" (21st century) size?

-Brian

The visor only looks big because of the way I have it situated on his head, kinda lopsided like. When I put it on normally it fits like a glove.

gotcha..

yeah it's kind of funny the different sizes of guys back then. They ranged from child-sized to normal (for today) sizes.

I have a 1st Cav cutdown 4-pocket (into an Ike) and that guy must have been about the size of my wife (5feet.. 110lbs or so).

Then I have a navy jumper to a Seabee who did refrigeration, and I think it could fit me! (6feet... 200lbs).

So the variation in sizes can be crazy. I've seen caps that look like they would barely fit an infant.. especially German stuff!

(probably some of these German hats were for kids!!!)

-Brian

gotcha..

yeah it's kind of funny the different sizes of guys back then. They ranged from child-sized to normal (for today) sizes.

I have a 1st Cav cutdown 4-pocket (into an Ike) and that guy must have been about the size of my wife (5feet.. 110lbs or so).

Then I have a navy jumper to a Seabee who did refrigeration, and I think it could fit me! (6feet... 200lbs).

So the variation in sizes can be crazy. I've seen caps that look like they would barely fit an infant.. especially German stuff!

(probably some of these German hats were for kids!!!)

-Brian

Haha that is so true! Its almost impossible to find the perfect fitting mannequin for these uniforms. I took a gamble on this torso display the other day at a local antique mall and it fit this guy like a champ, so sometimes it does work out.

post-153919-0-59577800-1417048987.jpg