Cavalry Kepi

doyler

Recently found this old kepi.Not the best of condition but they seldom surface here in any condition.Exibits a lot of mothing and the visor is sereating from the main body in one spot.

post-342-0-44309900-1416943109.jpg

Side buttonds are the Federal Eagle with C.

Im guessing Indian War period and a private ouerchase?Not my area but I couldnt leave it even though its a bit rough.

Doyler, Neat old Indian War kepi. Bonus with the cavalry side buttons. Typical M1872 Pattern. Sometimes these have inspectors stamps under the sweatband. This one would be for an officer as per the bullion badge so it may indeed be a private purchase. Looks like it fell victim to being displayed in direct sunlight for a long time. Somewhere I read in an old textile preservation and retoration book that you could restore faded colors in old fabric by bringing into contact the said textile with cloroform. Never tried it however, not sure how it would look if I tried to buy some.

Regards,

Terry

• 8 years later...
JasperCollins

I've read that logwood-dyed blue wool (in a manner similar to the logwood dyed gray colors of CS uniforms) will go brown/tan eventually vs. the indigo-dyed wool that tends to keep its color. If this were a private purchase, it could have easily been dyed with cheaper dyes vs. the indigo dye which was specified for the uniforms manufactured for the US military at the time.  Even then, there were lots of items from the Civil War that were dyed with logwood instead of indigo despite the specifications.

I've also seen a lot of black dyed items from the 1800s that have gone green(ish). I think some of the chemicals in the dyes may break down over time even without exposure to sunlight which at least hastens the process.