Are the helmets worn in the tv series "Combat!" accurate?

Buckshot

I have been watching these tv shows on you tube and was wondering if the helmets ued in the show were accurate? The series ran from 1962 through 1967.

Garth Thompson

I'll bet all the gear in COMBAT is genuine. 50 years ago very few people cared about or collected US militaria and there was a ton of it.

What do you mean exactly? By the netting or Saunders cover? Or what the helmets are made of?

-Dave

The whole nine yards. The helmets, the netting etc. I know Saunders has a marine cover.

I know Saunders has a marine cover.

I'm pretty sure it was actually a scrap from a camo parachute. I believe most of the helmets were originals, however I have seen a few prop helmets used by both the GIs and the Germans.

He has a parachute cover. I read a great article about the show and the main characters have fiberglass helmets. All of the gear is real though.

-Dave

Burning Hazard

I know they used originals in the early part of the show but eventually switched to props after the actors complained of the weight. I still remember in the later shows Saunders' helmet having his OD3 chinstraps attached to the inside of his M1 liner and Lt not having any bails on his shell.

Pat

First season producer Robert Pirosh wrote the screen play 12 years earlier for Battleground. Filmed on MGM's back lot #2 where much of the exteriors for Battleground were filmed. James Whitmore Jr, Denise Darcell and others from BG guest appeared on Combat. Helmets from Battleground were also reused for the series; club markings are still visible in season #1. As I wrote in an earlier post, I have the helmet liner from the 70/71 MGM sale worn by actor Brett King who played Lt. Tiess in Battleground, "Take care of that gas mask soldier. Might save your life someday."

NPerry

There is a web site somewhere that is dedicated to the series. It explains a lot of stuff with a lot of pictures. It covers the plastic helmets as well.

Ronnie