Kamikaze Aircraft Pieces

willipr

Here are a couple more of my grandfather's items. I believe they were taken from this kamikaze shot down on November 25th, 1944. I've added a picture from the official VF-7 history describing the event. This was the only hit on the USS Hancock during my grandfather's deployment. Though there were a couple close calls with Japanese bombs. Unfortunately there were crash landings, which were common, and one tragic incident where a pilot who had just landed with his bombs still attached was taxiing near the tower when he accidentally released two 500 lb bombs killing 62 men.

post-154874-0-45881400-1416609319.jpg

• 8 months later...
northcoastaero

The USS Essex (the fourth target), USS Intrepid (second target), and USS Cabot (first target) were also struck by kamikazes on the same date and in the same area. Possibly by the same special attack unit. The USS Hancock (CV-19) (third target) was at 15 degrees 47' N 123 degrees 14' E and on her second combat cruise when struck. The time of the attack was around 1230 hrs. The carrier was a part of Task Group 38.2 along the coast of Luzon in the Philippine Islands at that time. There were only two wounded on this particular kamikaze attack. The kamikaze aircraft exploded above the Hancock with the rudder falling on the stern, part of the fuselage falling on the middle of the ship, and part of the wing falling onto the port/left side. Some of my reference materials state the aircraft was a Zero and other materials state it was a Judy dive bomber.

If IJN A6M2 Zero, it was part of the special attack unit within the Dai 201 Kaigun Kokutai and flew from Mabalacat in the Philippine Islands.

If IJN D4Y3 Judy, it was part of the special attack unit within the Dai 701 Kaigun Kokutai and flew from the Philippine Islands.

There was also a kamikaze attack on the Hancock on April 7, 1945.

pararaftanr2

For what it's worth, it was a Zero, as shown by this photo of the remaining fuselage, taken before it was tossed overboard. I'm fortunate to have a grouping from a VT-7 pilot who was sitting in the cockpit of his TBM waiting to launch when the attack happened. He too procured a small piece of the Zero's aluminum skin (but painted red from the Hinamaru) and taped it inside the cover of his log book.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-42810000-1439473946.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

The USS Essex (the fourth target), USS Intrepid (second target), and USS Cabot (first target) were also struck by kamikazes on the same date and in the same area. Possibly by the same special attack unit. The USS Hancock (CV-19) (third target) was at 15 degrees 47' N 123 degrees 14' E and on her second combat cruise when struck. The time of the attack was around 1230 hrs. The carrier was a part of Task Group 38.2 along the coast of Luzon in the Philippine Islands at that time. There were only two wounded on this particular kamikaze attack. The kamikaze aircraft exploded above the Hancock with the rudder falling on the stern, part of the fuselage falling on the middle of the ship, and part of the wing falling onto the port/left side. Some of my reference materials state the aircraft was a Zero and other materials state it was a Judy dive bomber.

If IJN A6M2 Zero, it was part of the special attack unit within the Dai 201 Kaigun Kokutai and flew from Mabalacat in the Philippine Islands.

If IJN D4Y3 Judy, it was part of the special attack unit within the Dai 701 Kaigun Kokutai and flew from the Philippine Islands.

There was also a kamikaze attack on the Hancock on April 7, 1945.

Thanks for mentioning the note about Essex. Have a small group from one of Essex's MARDET AA Gunners, wasn't aware of her history prior to Iwo...