Can you ID?

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

post-5-1215101091.jpg

I was given this by an old lady that said it was with her 2 brother's WW2 stuff. She had no ideas about orgin, etc. Is it familiar to anyone?

craig_pickrall

This is another that I need an ID on. I know the FS knife is labeled WW2 but it isn't WW2.

post-5-1215101284.jpg

post-5-1215101290.jpg

notinfringed

Craig,

I am definietly not a knife expert, but the blade on the knife in the first post almost looks like a pal Rh35. Could it be possible that they moved the guard down and covered up the ricasso? think.gif Just an idea

Levi

craig_pickrall

Thanks, that was a good thought. The blade is thinner than a RH35 and is just a flat sheet with no shape to it.

Greg Robinson
This is another that I need an ID on. I know the FS knife is labeled WW2 but it isn't WW2.

Craig

It was fairly common during WW2 to cutdown old sword blades for fighting knives. Typically, they used Civil War swords or the "Patton" sabre blades. My best guess is this is an example of a custom made knife using such a blade. I have one in my collection that has a sword blade and leather wrapped handle.

Greg

IMHO...

#1 is a "shop knife," made from scratch. I do not believe its a factory, "theater modified" knife.

#2...I'm going to disagree with my friend, Greg. I don't believe it's a "sword knife." I believe it's a FS knife that was modified by replacing the handle with the black phenolic material. Lots of FS knives had the tips broken and the blades shortened to "repair" the break. The scabbard was handmade from a combination of civilian and military materials.