Us m5a1 bayonet

Flex

I just got a m5a1 bayonet and scabbard. With a scabbard, I paid 13 for it, and in decent shape. My question is it says us m5a1 on the bar and milpar col. I've read a few things on milpar, one it was produced in the 50s, another in the 70s for the Greek army, and another in the 70s for commercial selling. Does anyone know what date would be correct that it was produced? Also what it's worth? Thanks

Hi Flex,

For some reason I am particularly fond of this little bayonet. Regardless of the year yours was made, you got a great deal assuming "decent shape". The first contract was in 1953. Milpar made a whole bunch of them. Most of the Milpars you you see were made for the MAP (Military Assistance Program) for use by other countries. Some were made commercially. Many were used in Viet Nam by the South Vietnamese. Here's a link to the best info around.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_5.htm

Marv

Just to clear the dates up a little, I found this online from a Columbus newspaper:

THREE PLANTS OF COLUMBUS MILPAR CO BECOME CASUALTIES OF VIETNAM WAR AND WILL CLOSE: CLOSING OF EAST FULTON ST, EAST 5TH AVE AND CASSADY OPERATIONS WILL AFFECT 350 EMPLOYEES
Publication: Columbus Dispatch Date: Friday, January 16, 1970 Page: 1 A

The parent company that owned Milpar was having financial difficulties and closed Milpar. I have been told by various sources that the remaining odds and ends of bayonet parts on hand were bought up by Century Arms who assembled and sold them commercially.