11th Airborne Division 511th A.I.R. Huge Grouping

Ritman

Here is my latest pickup. A large 11th Airborne Division 511th A.I.R. grouping from a Sgt. during the Korean War era. Here are some of the items I thought were interesting.

post-95-0-93867600-1416089170.jpg

post-95-0-67911400-1416089192.jpg

post-95-0-08155200-1416089221.jpg

riflegreen297

I was told by an 11th ABN vet that the 11th ABN Troopers would wear those chains on the inside bottom of the trouser cuffs for blousing with their jump boots. It made the bloused trouser cuffs hang lower and more uniformly making the boot bloused trousers look "sharper". Kinda like a first generation blousing band. Also, supposedly if a Trooper got into a fight, out came the chains to wrap around the knuckles..

Interesting. Never heard that before.

Jeff

I was told by an 11th ABN vet that the 11th ABN Troopers would wear those chains on the inside bottom of the trouser cuffs for blousing with their jump boots. It made the bloused trouser cuffs hang lower and more uniformly making the boot bloused trousers look "sharper". Kinda like a first generation blousing band. Also, supposedly if a Trooper got into a fight, out came the chains to wrap around the knuckles..

Nice group.Some great patches.

Riflegreen is correct.The chains were worn in bloused trousers.the weight of the chain gave form to the trouser cuffs.

During the 60s and early 70s a cousin of mine told me they bloused the trousers over the jump boots using cardboard and taped quarters to the back of the cardboard for the weighted effect

Doyler,

I've had veterans tell me the exact same thing about the cardboard and the quarters. I was told that he quarters gave the cardboard the desired weight, but if the trooper got drunk and rolled, he would still have cab fare back to post. It wasn't just for looks, it was also emergency cash. I have had a few former sailors tell me that they used to tie a roll of dimes up in the center of their neckerchiefs. The roll was small enough to not be noticeable through the flap collar, but heavy enough to keep the square not at the perfect spot at the base of the opening on the front of the jumper. In a fight, a roll of quarters in a neckerchief makes a pretty effective sap, and if the sailor gets drunk and rolled, he still had money to get back to the ship on.

It was funny that the second I saw those chains, I knew EXACTLY what they were for. I was told that the paratroopers stopped using the chains because the MP,s would tap the bloused trousers with their nightsticks. If they heard the clinking of chain links, they would arrest the paratrooper for carrying a concealed weapon. That is why they went away.

Allan

I have also seen garrison caps that had Walking Liberty half dollars sewn behind the glider/parachute cap badge. Another type of "concealed weapon" as well as emergency cash..

Leigh