Civil War and GAR items needing opinions on

I recently picked these up at an auction. Being new to collecting Civil War period collecting, I need help determining what if these are good or bad, and what period. They were all together in a group. Thanks

post-9173-0-45811600-1415949007.jpg

The 2 Navy items are 20th Century USNA (eagle/chevron patch and collar anchors). The star is a not-too-old USN Line Officer cuff insignia. The Civil War items look good (i.e., Hardee hat eagle, Inf Horn, NCO buckle, shoulder straps). The US Flag ribbon medal is a Spanish War Vet's Medal (missing planchet).

I think you did very well - those CW items in there are really great (at least they look to be from what I can see of them).

Agreed. The embroidery in the Civil War items is head and shoulders above the reproductions in quality. There is one US-based craftsman selling high quality hand embroidered insignia but even as reproductions they go for $100 or more apiece.

The Civil War Campaign Medal is a modern strike. A better (Closer) photo might yield more info.

I agree, post better photos of this one. I think it is more likely one from the 1950's or 1960's....but it is really hard to tell without better pictures.

The crossed swords pin, what period is that and is it real?

It looks real, though I am having a bit of trouble evaluating the lead backing. If that is OK, I suspect these are post CW to the mid 1890's.

Typically, the Span Am war era ones are also numbered, but there can be lots of variation in this entire time frame....meaning 1860's to 1902....especially when you start factoring in the all the possibilities State, Volunteer, Militia, and Veteran Guard Units can present.

Someone with some better books on these should be able to help nail these down more specifically.

It looks real, but I am not sure the exact period between the CW and 1902, though I suspect post CW to the mid 1890's.

Typically, the Span Am war era ones are also numbered, but there can be lots of variation in this entire time frame....meaning 1860's to 1902....especially when you start factoring in the all the possibilities State, Volunteer, Militia, and Veteran Guard Units can present.

Someone with some better books on these should be able to help nail it down.

With the troop letter up top and no regimental #, I would say this is not a Federal insignia. I'd guess 1890's state or militia or whatever.

I agree, post better photos of this one. I think it is more likely one from the 1950's or 1960's....but it is really hard to tell without better pictures.

Yes, "post WW2". Not the right finish for a pre WW2 contract piece.

daniel griffin

Thanks. The crossed swords pin, what period is that and is it real?

1873 regulations called for enlisted men's cavalry insignia to display the company letter at the upper angle of the sabers. The 1877 regulations added the regimental number below.

1873 regulations called for enlisted men's cavalry insignia to display the company letter at the upper angle of the sabers. The 1877 regulations added the regimental number below.

Interesting. I learned something new.