Unbelievable WWII pistol lanyard

artu44

And that lanyard on your father is the WW1 version?

There's really no way I can tell by the picture, except that it is not that web version discussed in this thread. I posted the picture because Stricking 9th said he hadn't seen pictures of Marines in WWII wearing lanyards.

Steve

Striking 9th
[/i]

There's really no way I can tell by the picture, except that it is not that web version discussed in this thread. I posted the picture because Stricking 9th said he hadn't seen pictures of Marines in WWII wearing lanyards.

Steve

Great picture. Was your father a line Marine? I should have clarified. I was referring to field use. Also use of the web version. I don't think either of these pics show the web version. I have pics of them using all kinds of captured Japanese field equipment. I have never seen/noticed a lanyard issued or captured being used in the field. Pics probably do exist but I would consider them rare.

Scott

Just to close the argument, the lot sold 392.89$ in France. Considering 100$ for the common holster plus belt &mag pouch, the lanyard only sold 292$. And if would be a fake...........

• 6 years later...

Scott:

I have not had time to search my photo archives for a WW2 USMC pic showing lanyard use in the field. I don't know if I have one and won't know until I search. I agree with the general proposition that lanyards were not a frequently seen item of equipment with WW2 era Marines.

In the meantime I thought this photo would be of interest to you and others here. It shows a Marine on a Machine Gun range wearing a M1912 Dismounted holster and a lanyard attached to his .45 pistol. I don't know when the photo was taken or where, but I suspect it was in the 1930's or perhaps just pre-war.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

attachicon.gifDismount...range_ed.jpg

Here's another, but in training.

post-1414-0-44104200-1414189609.jpg