• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
    • Member ID: 154,922
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:26 AM

As a new member, I'm still trying to find my way around the forum, post pictures and put things in the right places. Please bear with me.

All said, with it being Veterans Day I wanted to post this picture of QM1C Gayhart LaRoche. LaRoche was killed when the USS Leopold sank off the coast of Iceland. He is one of the 600 Coast Guard sailors to die in action during WW 2. A brave man in a branch of service that is sometimes overlooked. After his death, his wife, Margaret Hannay LaRoche joined the Coast Guard in his memory. This photograph is from her personal photo album.

Attached Images

• 04.jpg

#2 mlaroche

mlaroche
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 175,085
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hi, While doing a google search on a relative of mine(Gayhart LaRoche), I saw this posting and had to reply.

For one thing thanks so much for sharing the photograph iI had never meet Gay since he died way before I was born.  I come from his older brother Leonard.

I was just wondering if you have any other information regarding Gay and his family?  and anywhere else I could look for information.

Thanks so much for anything you can share and once again for the small bio on him, we never had any information on his marriage.

Michael LaRoche

#3 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Gayhart LaRoche and his wife. I'll post some more information about Gayhart soon. I'm glad to hear you're interested.

Attached Images

• Laroche05.JPG

#4 mlaroche

mlaroche
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the photo I really appreciate it.  How do you fit into the family?  Gay looks a lot like his younger brother Gerald (Ollie).  I also saw a photo of Margaret and a daughter but not much other information on it.  My dad didn't tlak much about Gay or his family.

#5 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:58 AM

I'm glad you liked the second photo. To answer your question, I'm not related to Gay. I am a collector / dealer of military collectibles. On occasion, I'll find photos and information in regard to a veteran. I try to find some internet venue to post the material, with the thought that at least they'll be something out there, should someone be looking.

As you are aware, Gay was married to Margret Hannay. After Gay was killed, she joined the Coast Guard in his memory. She later married Tommy Thompson. Thompson owned a successful refrigeration / air conditioning business.[Thompson- Kissell ] He was also a race car driver of note. They had one daughter, who died several years ago. The material I have came from her estate.

I'll look and see if I have anything else I can post that will be of help in your research.

You can obtain his military records via the government. They charge for the service. I have a file with some material from the daughters estate, but I can't say that I could readily locate the information. Any information from me, is free of course. And, in time I will run across the file.

Attached Images

• lrLaroche01.JPG

#6 mlaroche

mlaroche
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

Thanks so much for doing this and since I have very little information on Gay I really do appreciate it.  My question is the daughter from the marriage to Gay or Tommy? and was the daughter's name Marcelline? I am leaning toward it being with Gay since Marcelline is a family name since Gay & Leonard had a sister by that name and my own sister was named after her by my dad.

I'm sure others have found the items you've posted on the military to be of use and as I said before I really appreciate it.

I will check the government and I know they charge but in the past you had to be directly related to obtain some information.

#7 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

The daughter was from her marriage to Tommy. It seems like she was only in her early 50's when she died of cancer and that has been ten years ago or so. I have more information on both Tommy and the daughter. I'll post it, when I find the file.

There's an outside chance that the moderator of the forum may find these posts too specific and not of general interest, especially if we deviate from Gay. They could close it out. Not likely, but possible. As long as we stay with information that deals directly with Gay himself, it should be fine. Just in case, my email address is [email protected]   

Photo is of Margret, Tommy and their daughter.

Attached Images

• IMG_5167.JPG

#8 m1ashooter

m1ashooter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,672
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

My son is currently a 20 year old Bosuns Mate in the USCG.  Thank you for the post because since he enlisted I have dived into the USCG history.

#9 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Unfortunately, the Coast Guard doesn't seem to always get the credit they deserve. They certainly have made a significant contribution to the defense of the United States. And, from a collectors perspective, it's a good branch to collect as there's a lot out there and prices are reasonable.

#10 mlaroche

mlaroche
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for any information - sorry it's been awhile since I checked on Gay.  We moved during the Christmas holidays and it's been a mess since.  I agree that the Coast Guard has been overlooked for recognition in what they've done and continue to do for our country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users