Western L77 with Sheath

thorin6

This is a case where patience was a virtue. I picked up the L77 (page 61, Cole’s Book III) from this forum a couple of years ago. It’s been well sharpened but not ground, and only about 10% of the bluing on the blade is left. The guard is loose, but the grip is intact and solid. It did not come with a sheath, but the price was less than half of what the knife itself goes for on ebay. I’ve always kept an eye out for the correct sheath, but the few times they have come up, they are usually in “mint” condition and go for about as much as the knife. However, last week, while perusing ebay, I chanced upon this sheath, and was able to pick it up for just over $40. The nice thing is that the wear on the knife and the condition of the sheath match up fairly well. I’d hate to match up a “mint” scabbard with a well-worn knife.

post-11546-0-85824800-1415667901.jpg

Thorin6- Thanks for showing. Have we ever established what USMC units were issued these, or were they just straight off the shelf PX purchase? I've only seen one or two pics of troops with these. SKIP

In Frank Trzaska's Knife Knotes 12 he refers to them as Marine unit purchases, and in Wikipedia's Kabar reference they talk about them as PX purchases. I tend to go with Frank's comments, but I'm sure they were also PX purchases by the Marines.