GETTYSBURG KIA

Patriot

Here is an interesting piece of history, from my personal collection. Classic in style, this is a Civil War rosewood shaving mirror that was carried by German volunteer, Captain Otto Friederich, Company D, 68th New York Volunteer Infantry. Known as the "German Rifles", the 68th New York was recruited and mustered into service for the War for the Union in New York City, and had served with distinction throughout the war, until it's muster out in 1865. Composed almost completely of German immigrants to this country, this regiment so illuminated the cultural diversity by which this war was fought. Next to the Irish, the German's were the second most common immigrant during the 1840's - 1860's.

On July 1st, 1863, the 68th New York found themselves in the heat of battle at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, as part of the Army of the Potomac's 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 11th Corps. The first day had gone badly for the Federal troops, and by the end of the day, the 11th Corps had collapsed and fallen back in disarray into the town of Gettysburg itself. On July 2nd, the Federal line was re-deployed on Cemetery Hill, awaiting a massive Confederate attack that they were sure was to come. At around 4:30 in the afternoon the attack came. 35,000 Confederates swarmed the Big and Little Round Top's, and another 20,000 attacked Cemetery Hill. The troops that were facing the 68th New York were hardened veterans from Mississippi and Louisiana. Utter chaos befell the men of the 11th Corps. While attempting to rally the faltering men of Company D, Captain Otto Friederich fell from a well placed Louisiana bullet, mortally wounded.

By 9:00 that evening, the fighting had ground to a stand still. Both sides fought hard, neither giving ground. While the Confederates failed to take the Round Top's, they did succeed in holding the Devil's Den, and the Wheat Field. Captain Friederich, gravely wounded, was moved to a field hospital where he died a few hours later, in the early hours of July 3, 1863. His remains are now part of the hallowed ground at the Gettysburg National Cemetery, in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He was one of the 54,000 casualties that fell during those three days of July 1st. - 3rd.

This mirror bore witness to the fighting on Cemetery Hill, and the death of one German-American soldier fighting for the Union. I thought that this would be an especially appropriate post, considering that it was TODAY that he fell, some 145 years ago. We see an awful lot of WWI & WWII items on this forum, but not too much is to be said here about a war that nearly tore a nation apart.

PS - The ink stencil is actually very clear, but it appears very muted in the picture. The mirror reads, "Cap. Otto Friederich, Co. D, 68th NYV"

Die Deutch Soldat, Kapitan Otto Friederich -

post-2801-1214982645.jpg

post-2801-1214982655.jpg

post-2801-1214982662.jpg

Very interesting item.

Thanks for sharing.

As a matter of fact, about a week ago, I was reading up on the Battle of Gettysburg.

And - coincidence? - I just watched "Gettysburg" as well.

Eventhough "just" a movie, it does give a fair idea of the bloodshed on those days.

One day, I hope to visit that battlefield together with my fiancée (maybe wife by then).

Erwin

Thanks Erwin & Mr- X. It's great to see some Aussie's and Belgians taking interest in our Civil War. There are actually reenacting groups in England that portray the American Civil War, which I have always thought was interesting. I am also a little saddened that not any of our American viewers have commented, especially considering that Gettysburg is, indeed, an American historic icon.

Erwin: The movie by Maxwell was a great movie! Although Martin Sheen did not look like Robert E. Lee, he certainly played the part quite well. They actually illustrate the part in the battle when the 11th Corps collapses, and the Confederates overrun the position - but the best part had to have been Pickett's Charge. If you want a good read, read the book, "The Killer Angels", by Jeff Shaara, which is what the movie was based on. Infact, any of the Shaara novels are great - he greatly researches the military events and characters before writing them. I believe he wrote one on WWII not too long ago - which is suppose to be really good. Sometimes these books, if well written, can be much better than a common war movie.

Thanks for looking!

Patriot

notinfringed

Great item, and an excellent post. I had the honor of visiting gettysburg a few years back. My 4xgreat aunt was Mary Virginia Wade, the only civilian killed during the battle. Anyone who gets a chance to go should. There are tons of monuments, and a driving tour of the battle field. It has a little bit of a "touristy" feel, but I don't think they could preserve and show that large of an area any other way.

Levi

Doughboy1918

That's an awesome artifact. Gettysburg has been on my mind quite a bit lately. I am preapring to visit there in a couple weeks with my Boy Scout troop. I've been there twice in the past, but both times have been a quick, passing visit. I am looking forward to spending the entire week there and seeing things at a slwer pace. We will be hiking five different historic trails through the park and also visiting the Eisenhower Farm. As a long time reenactor I can hopefully appreciate a little bit of the Civil War soldier's viewpoint maybe more than the average person.

Patriot; thanks for the tip .... that book is on my "wish list". thumbsup.gif

As for the movie .... I liked Jeff Daniëls as Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain (20th Maine). The real one was a professor.

Both sides suffered heavily.

Somewhere I read that there are still Union and Confederate remains buried between the rocks at the Round Tops.

Of course, you have the typical ghost stories as well.

Erwin

hbtcoveralls

[HI ALL,

If you do go to visit Gettysburg, do yourself a favor and head about an hour further south and visit Antietam battlefield near Sharpsburg MD. It's an easy day trip from G'burg and alot less "touristy" if you know what I mean. G'burg is the battle that most people who don't know much about the Civil War know about, but Antietam is equally historic but for different reasons. I also found Antietam( which is far enough outside of town that battlefield is still relatively quiet) to be much more atmospheric than G'burg. Just my 2 cents worth..

T. Bowers

Manchu Warrior
[HI ALL,

If you do go to visit Gettysburg, do yourself a favor and head about an hour further south and visit Antietam battlefield near Sharpsburg MD. It's an easy day trip from G'burg and alot less "touristy" if you know what I mean. G'burg is the battle that most people who don't know much about the Civil War know about, but Antietam is equally historic but for different reasons. I also found Antietam( which is far enough outside of town that battlefield is still relatively quiet) to be much more atmospheric than G'burg. Just my 2 cents worth..

T. Bowers

Wow, hbt read my mind. The National Park Service claims that Antietam Battlefield is the best preserved Civil War battlefield in the USA. I was told, not sure how true it is, it is simply because less people live in the Sharpsburg area today as did in the 1860's. I live in the the area and have visited both battlefields on numerous occasions, even spent two days of my honeymoon at Antietam, and as far as comparing Antietam to Gettysburg I will give my two cents. Gettysburg is a great place for a family trip simply because when the kids get tired and bored from looking at one to many cannons or monuments you can take them to play putt putt golf or one of the many other forms of entertainment available in Gettysburg. On the other hand I believe Antietam is more for the hard core Civil War buff. I have taken my children to both places but they have been to Gettysburg at least triple the amount of times as they have been to Antietam. But, when I go without the kids me and my friends usually head to Antietam with a side trip to both the South Mountain and Monocacy Battlefields. Just to give you an idea of the difference Antietam averages 250,000 visitors a year and Gettysburgs average is 1.3 million. In closing if you ever get the chance you really should visit Antietam on the first Saturday in December. They light over 24,000 candles in memory of the bloodiest day in America's history and it really puts the human cost in perspective.

post-1412-1215191913.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments and replies. I plan on going back to Gettysburg in the fall - and I might just have to take the trip to Antietam. I have never been to Antietam, but I have always wanted to stand in the Bloody Lane, and just imagine the Irish Brigade making their fateful attack on that autumn afternoon of September 17, 1862. If anyone hasn't joined one of the Civil War preservation groups, you really should give it serious consideration. There were over 10,000 battles that took place during this war, and most that are not on National Park Service land are disappearing everyday. People see it more important to have a McDonald's on the site of a Civil War battlefield, rather than preserve that land where men fought and died. You can actually purchase bits of land on these battlefields, and that will be forever roped off from development.

On a side note - It is hard for many of us to travel to Normandy, or the Ardennes to view the battlefields of the World War's, but often times it is just a short drive into another state that can bring you the same effect. In fact, while these World War's were being fought, Civil War veterans were holding reunions at these sights - retracing their steps, and remembering that time in their youth's when their "hearts were touched with fire" (Paraphrased from Oliver Wendell Holmes).

This Fourth of July we should remember those 620,000 Americans who died in that war, and all the other wars past and present, for the sake of freedom. After all, is this not what the glorious 4th is all about, freedom?

Patriot

• 10 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing!

Always enjoyed enjoyed US history and 1st vist to Gettysburg was early 1960's!

The town had a big event and street sale that I remember!

PVON