Chaplain 1st Lt Gifford Ernest, 5th Sanitary Train, 5th Div. WW1

kanemono

This is a grouping to Chaplain 1st Lt. Gifford Ernest, 5th Division, 5th Sanitary Train, France 1918. I have been unable to find many records or references to Chaplain Ernest in the archives at St. Louis or on Ancestry etc., however, I was lucky to have a number of original documents and letters to Chaplain Ernest. The 5th Sanitary Train worked a great deal with the French Army and at the front lines, this must be where Lt. Ernest earned his French Croix de Guerre. Here is some history of the 5th Sanitary Train.

The 5th Sanitary Train did not arrive in France until June 20. Service in the Anould sector was of peculiar interest because of the character of the terrain and the close association with the French. The country was rugged, with but few roads leading through the mountain passes. Though steep, these roads were good, and at certain points narrow-gauge railways were sometimes available for the evacuations of wounded. As allied trenches were usually on the eastern slope of the hills, roads leading to them were under direct enemy observation and frequently were shelled, especially during a raid from either side. These circumstances prohibited the near approach of ambulances to the advance stations and required that the wounded be removed from them by hand carriage or wheeled litter for a distance of from 3 to 5 km. (1.8 to 3.1 miles) over steep and winding trails. From one advance station it was necessary that eight bearers carry a wounded man for four hours before he could be placed on a vehicle. First aid was applied at battalion stations located in front-line trenches, and the patients were then taken by hand carriage or on wheeled litters through communicating trenches or over trails to the nearest point accessible by motor-cycle litter or ambulance. Ambulance centers were maintained near the hospitals, from 5 to 8 km. (3 to 4.9 miles) from the front. Here approximately two-thirds of the ambulances were parked, the others being posted at protected and accessible points as near the lines as possible. When casualties occurred, notice was telephoned to the hospitals and an ambulance was sent forward to the post which had been vacated by the ambulance sent to collect the casualties in question. Thus there was kept up a circuit of vehicles and prompt service, compensating for inability to maintain a number of ambulances at a forward post because of enemy airplane observation and direct fire. Animal-drawn transportation was not used in the American service in this sector, instead the use of wheeled litters and motor cycles were used for removal of the wounded.

post-9487-0-27091200-1415400786.jpg

post-9487-0-86361400-1415400796.jpg

post-9487-0-51415800-1415400804.jpg

post-9487-0-78129200-1415400834.jpg

post-9487-0-74218400-1415400845.jpg

post-9487-0-48422800-1415400861.jpg

Wonderful! If possible, can you post a close-up of the lapel pins on either side of the American eagle hat badge? One looks like a 5th Division pin of some kind, not sure about the one to the left of the eagle.

Pete

Thanks for the comments. I have two more Chaplains groups to post. Another WW1 group and a WW2, Korea group. I am waiting for the FOIA information on the later group. I will post the WW1 group when I get a chance. Here are the button hole pins.

Dick

post-9487-0-13290000-1415462905.jpg

Thanks, those buttons are very nice. I'd love to find the 5th Division vet button and that World War Veterans button! I've never seen them before.

Pete

Dick, I was wondering what became of the missing MP, Otto William Henry Orton that the Frenchman was writing the chaplain about in that letter of 12/12/18. Looks like he made it through okay, but for going from sergeant to PFC between 2/19 and 4/19. Maybe whatever happened in Paree, didn't stay in Paree. :rolleyes:

post-18406-0-27698100-1415519574.jpg

Thanks for finding the man named in the letter (Otto William Henry Orton). I did think of looking for him but never followed through on the thought. Thanks again!

Dick

• 3 years later...

Kane,

I just posted a Helmet from a 79th ID WWI KIA M-A helmet that was sent home with a letter by Chaplain Ernest... Please take a look at the painted Steel, Painted WWI helmets, the final page. I would really like to e-mail you a copy high res of the letter he sent home, if you could also e-mail me the info you have posted in high res? So happy I stumbled across your post, its amazing to see other artifacts of this Chaplains!

-Michael

• 3 months later...