SSI ID Please: 167th Support Bde

63 RECON

yeah true, it is his post war shirt so must have worn it post '83. Jerry ended up as Captain as far as i can find and passed away in 2009.

ill check under the SF tab to see if there is a ghost of teh airbrone tab when i get home.

I don't think the 167th Support Brigade was ever an Airborne designated unit, so why an Airborne tab? Was he assigned to an element of the 167th that was Airborne? The SSI was approved for the 167th Spt Bde in 1969; redesignated for the 167th Spt Cmd in 1976; redesignated for the 167th Sustainment Cmd in 2006. It is a unit of the Alabama National Guard.

Found your man I think, by this info he was at first an EM, the 1977 date of discharge may be the date he left the service and went to school and would later come back in as a officer in the National Guard, probably around 1977-78-79, maybe 1980, it depends, by using these dates, that he's a 1st Lieutenant by the time or shortly after the time the SF tab came out makes sense.

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: JAIRRELS JERRY

Branch: ARMY

Rate: E05

MOS: 97B

MOS Title: Counterintelligence Agent

Entered: 6808

Discharged: 770720

Service Number:

State: GEORGIA

Race: AFRICAN-AMERICAN

There is no reason for the Special Forces tab to be on the right sleeve of this jacket. It should be a Airborne tab which is part of the SF SSI.

Found your man I think, by this info he was at first an EM, the 1977 date of discharge may be the date he left the service and went to school and would later come back in as a officer in the National Guard, probably around 1977-78-79, maybe 1980, it depends, by using these dates, that he's a 1st Lieutenant by the time or shortly after the time the SF tab came out makes sense.

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: JAIRRELS JERRY

Branch: ARMY

Rate: E05

MOS: 97B

MOS Title: Counterintelligence Agent

Entered: 6808

Discharged: 770720

Service Number:

State: GEORGIA

Race: AFRICAN-AMERICAN

Thanks Patches, Great info. Yes he was an EM during VN. He served in RT Intruder from the info i have.

LK militaria has no more items for sale i believe right now. I used his photos because i haven't taken any of the shirt as such.

From Whos Who MACV SOG

JAIRRELS, JERRY SP4 10/26/70 SCTY SECT

From Whos Who CIB (notice name is spelled wrong)

JAIRRELLS, JERRY HC/70/100AA 10/09/70 A VNJW

Th Special Forces Tab along with all insignia has been on the jacket for a long time. see attached pic. once again not my picture.

I have another shirt named to Manning with a SF tab above a medical unit patch which i need an ID on as well.

cheers guys

post-117117-0-52738500-1415482797.jpg

I don't think the 167th Support Brigade was ever an Airborne designated unit, so why an Airborne tab? Was he assigned to an element of the 167th that was Airborne? The SSI was approved for the 167th Spt Bde in 1969; redesignated for the 167th Spt Cmd in 1976; redesignated for the 167th Sustainment Cmd in 2006. It is a unit of the Alabama National Guard.

Cheers for the info but its an SF tab above the 167th SSI, Airborne tab is above the SF SSI.

cheers

Ryan

Cheers for the info but its an SF tab above the 167th SSI, Airborne tab is above the SF SSI.

cheers

Ryan

Yes, I know. I was wondering about why an Airborne tab was above the 167th SSI.

Oh sorry i meant to see if there was ghosting of an SF SSI and airborne tab under the 167th ssi which there was not.

Is that what you meant?