My Grandfather

willipr

This is my first contribution to the forum. I hope you all enjoy. Just a little backround about Sig G. Lysne, my grandfather. He grew up on a farm in North Dakota. Joined the Navy as a pilot after college, where he flew the F6F Hellcat in VF-7 and was stationed on the USS Hancock in the Pacific from August 44 until January 45. He had over 1100 hours of flight time including training, scored 2 kills, a Judy and a Lilly, and received the Distinguished Flying Cross. He met my grandmother on July 4th, 1943 in her hometown of Vero Beach, FL where he was training at the Naval Air Station in town. They dated for 2 weeks and then got married.

After the war he started a crop dusting service in Vero with his brother-in-law. He also involved in the FFA in Florida. He loved to golf and grow citrus but most of all he loved to fly.

My grandfather passed away on July 4th 2013 at the age of 94, the same day he met his wife in 1943, at home in Vero, not too far from where they first met. My grandmother passed away almost a year before he did. My grandparents celebrated July 4th every year as their anniversary. The day before he passed he knew that tomorrow was his anniversary where he would meet his wife again in heaven. He was truly a great man. He was a hard worker, family man, good Christian, and had a great sense of humor. I miss him every day.

I will contribute items of his in the future. Thanks.

post-154874-0-40263600-1415045393.jpg

(On the left checking out the cockpit of a Dauntless dive bomber in 07

post-154874-0-54076500-1415045411.jpg

Johnny Signor

A Salute of utmost thanks to your Gran Dad for his service to our country , it is very much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello willipr,

Welcome to the Forum. It looks like your grandfather was recommended for several decorations, other than the DFC you mention. This from the VF-7 squadron history.

Best regards, Paul

post-9787-0-97676300-1415267165.jpg

Hello willipr,

Welcome to the Forum. It looks like your grandfather was recommended for several decorations, other than the DFC you mention. This from the VF-7 squadron history.

Best regards, Paul

Thanks Paul. He did receive the Air Medal. My cousin received his medals when he passed but I have the boxes they came in along with some of his ribbons. I have a copy of his squadron history but must've looked over this page. Thanks for posting this.

• 3 months later...

Hello, Wilipr! As a reporter and growing up to be a lover of stories, I appreciate you sharing what you know of your grandfather. Was he assigned as a pilot in the Navy or did he ask to be one? Sounds like once he took to the air, he never wanted to leave it, not that I blame him. Being above land gives you a rich sense of freedom. Your grandparents sure married fast, but back then you couldn't wait. How ironic for him to die on the same day he met your grandma... so sad, but I'm glad you know he's resting in peace.

How did his crop dusting service fare? Has it passed on in the family?

This is my first contribution to the forum. I hope you all enjoy. Just a little backround about Sig G. Lysne, my grandfather. He grew up on a farm in North Dakota. Joined the Navy as a pilot after college, where he flew the F6F Hellcat in VF-7 and was stationed on the USS Hancock in the Pacific from August 44 until January 45. He had over 1100 hours of flight time including training, scored 2 kills, a Judy and a Lilly, and received the Distinguished Flying Cross. He met my grandmother on July 4th, 1943 in her hometown of Vero Beach, FL where he was training at the Naval Air Station in town. They dated for 2 weeks and then got married.

After the war he started a crop dusting service in Vero with his brother-in-law. He also involved in the FFA in Florida. He loved to golf and grow citrus but most of all he loved to fly.

My grandfather passed away on July 4th 2013 at the age of 94, the same day he met his wife in 1943, at home in Vero, not too far from where they first met. My grandmother passed away almost a year before he did. My grandparents celebrated July 4th every year as their anniversary. The day before he passed he knew that tomorrow was his anniversary where he would meet his wife again in heaven. He was truly a great man. He was a hard worker, family man, good Christian, and had a great sense of humor. I miss him every day.

I will contribute items of his in the future. Thanks.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
(On the left checking out the cockpit of a Dauntless dive bomber in 07
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

You may want to obain his navy service record. I see he was recommended for the Navy Cross. His record should explain why.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
a1aresearch

Does anybody know where he is buried at? I am involved in placing flags on graves for Memorial Day 2023  in my area of Vero Beach

and would like to make a tribute to Sig's gravesite. If I had his date of birth I could find it, so if anyone knows that would be helpful.

I'm happy to post a photo image once we place a flag.

-RKO

2 hours ago, a1aresearch said:

Does anybody know where he is buried at? I am involved in placing flags on graves for Memorial Day 2023  in my area of Vero Beach

and would like to make a tribute to Sig's gravesite. If I had his date of birth I could find it, so if anyone knows that would be helpful.

I'm happy to post a photo image once we place a flag.

-RKO

Is this any relation ? could be a clue to a search for obituary

sig.jpg.213c27ec05da32385c3ef045b5248732.jpg