Experimental GORETEX Hood?

PriorityOne

That is odd...I seem to remember the GEN I Goretex hood rolling up inside the collar, but I didn't wear them long. They also made a ton of knock off type GI goretex through US Cavalry and Ranger Joes....a lot of those had spec labels that tried to mimic the GI stuff. Being that this one was made in the USA, I doubt it was a knock off one.

I googled the stock/nsn number and found some info on it at CIE Hub. It is listed as an optional hood for the second generation U.S.M.C. Goretex parka. It also looks like it would fit on the army 2nd generation goretex as well but the woodland pattern would not match the ucp pattern.

Allen

The Sportsman's Guide sold a bunch of those a while back, a co-worker of mine purchased one. Never did figure out what it went to, but the ECWCS parka mentioned above would be a good guess.

The ECWCS parka already has a hood and it does not have velcro to attach it anyway. There has got to be an experimental parka to go with. Over a month ago there was a experimental pair of goretex pants and gaiters. The pants were dated 1994 on a natik lab tag, maybe there was a whole system?

The ECWCS parka already has a hood and it does not have velcro to attach it anyway. There has got to be an experimental parka to go with. Over a month ago there was a experimental pair of goretex pants and gaiters. The pants were dated 1994 on a natik lab tag, maybe there was a whole system?

I was just going to post this! I never saw a Gore-Tex (ECWCS) parka that did not have a built in hood so I don't know what that hood would go to. Maybe there was an experimental Gore-Tex replacement for the old M1951 Parka. IIRC the M1951 Parka did have a separate hood.

I got this info from the the cie hub page.It is the description for the U.S.M.C. 2nd Generation ECWCS/ Goretex Parka and its improvements. "The parka has two side access warming pockets, two cargo pockets, two side access breast pockets, two upper sleeve pockets, and a roll and stow hood that fits into collar. It also features water shedding slide fasteners and zippered armpit vents. The parka is also designed with an optional hood for extreme cold weather, which attaches to parka by hook and pile tape and interfaces with the fur ruff, a component of the ECWCS."

this is at bottom of page after a listing of Nsn's for the updated parka and trousers.

"optional hood (pgc 02438)

x-small

8415-01-421-9283

small

8415-01-425-5368

medium

8415-01-425-5373

large

8415-01-425-5376

X-large

8415-01-425-5379"

On other links to the army 2nd generation and current Parkas have optionl hoods designed for them as well.

I was trying to post pics of my army ucp goretex to show Velcro on back of neck but cannot get them resized for the page. I will try and post tomorrow.

Allen