Arrow for Normandy campaign?

kai robert

This is what a D-day vet wrote about himself.

"1ST INFANTRY DIVISION. ON OMAHA BEACH ON JUNE 6, 1944. SERVED WITH COMPANY E, 18TH REGIMENT. RECEIVED THE BRONZE STAR, PURPLE HEART, COMBAT INFANTRYMAN BADGE, WWII VICTORY MEDAL, AMERICAN CAMPAIGN MEDAL, EUROPEAN-AFRICAN-MIDDLE EASTERN CAMPAIGN RIBBON WITH 2 STARS AND THE FRENCH LIBERATION AWARD JULY 15, 2000."

As you can see "EAME with 2 stars", I have also seen his medals and both medal and ribbon has 2 stars, no arrow. Why?

Didn´t Normandy credit for an arrow automatically or did he make a mistake when he put on a star instead of a arrow?

It should, but it wouldn't be the first time something fell through the cracks. I read on the discharge itself of a local man whose uniform I own that he entered the African theater on THE DAY of the landings in North Africa (November 8th), and he was in Co. A, 168th Infantry Regiment, who landed on THAT DAY to take Algiers. He was also due an American Campaign Ribbon (based on his time in the states, he came home and trained guys at a camp), but never got that either. I added them to the ribbons I assembled to display his uniform, but technically, they aren't on his papers. I'll be the first to admit that, but based on the information I've seen, I fell 100% sure he should have had it. Could be just one of those things.

Maybe he doesn't perceive the arrowhead as worth mentioning...he might not feel the device is needed...might not be aware he rates it...options are endless

I've known veterans who declined to wear awards or devices they didn't agree with, and I've known plenty who aren't aware of what they actually rate. To this day the award system can be tricky to navigate, with awards being awarded months and years after the action, they lose track of it or don't bother checking updates, especially once they leave the unit or get out of the military. This is especially true with unit awards.

I was told years ago that I may rate a unit award or 2 for Iraq, but our unit was short lived and it's difficult to tell what they titled it as on update notices, and it's been deactivated so long that most clerks have never heard of it. I looked briefly once, couldn't figure it out, and said the hell with it and gave up. I don't particularly care about my ribbons, IMO a piece of cloth doesn't make me any better at my job.

Kind of ironic, since I collect USMC stuff to include the occasional medal group

At the end of the war with millions being processed out of service, records were often prepared with omissions and errors. Also, the awarding of arrowheads and campaign stars to units (and service medals to soldiers) was ongoing. Even today General Orders crediting stars, arrowheads and making unit awards to WW2 units are still being published. Generally a soldier did not stand up as he was getting out of the Army and stop the process to say he thinks maybe he was eligible for something. He (or she) wanted out. It was true for the Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War and for today's seemingly continuous War (I'll just call it "war" since I have lost sight of the purpose or goal, if there is one).

and for today's seemingly continuous War (I'll just call it "war" since I have lost sight of the purpose or goal, if there is one).

Ended a few days ago for the USMC

• 2 weeks later...

I found this info on this forum "The bronze arrowhead was first authorized 23 December 1944, and the bronze campaign stars were available before then". http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/176175-question-about-the-european-african-middle-eastern-campaign-medal/, post 3.

Late -44 was this vet. wounded and later transfered to SHAEF so it´s possible that he´s not aware of that he actually is qualifyed for a arrowhead..

I have also searched a lot but i don´t get this, do you get a star for Normandy + arrow for D-day or do the arrow replace the star?

And, didn´t service in SHAEF credit for campaign stars?

Arrowhead for initial assault or parachute jump. Campaigns are date specific.Starting and ending dates for each.You can have the star but unless he landed on d-day he would not be awarded the arrowhead. The campaign dates for eligibility are out there,Just jam the keyboard.

Good luck

Bob

It's all about who is running the type writer (computer) and who is sitting in the chair on the last week in the Army. Lot's of guys don't care.....lot's of guys did care but they didn't know what to ask about and ran into lousy admin guys just trying to shove people through. It still happens to this day. A Soldier came up to me showing they had completed his DD-214 for discharge (I was his CO)....I looked it over and said "Didn't you get a commendation medal for Afghaistan?" "Yes, sir" "well it's not on here" "Well, Im leaving tomorrow and I could care less - and I don't want to delay for anything" "Ok".

Arrowhead for initial assault or parachute jump. Campaigns are date specific.Starting and ending dates for each.You can have the star but unless he landed on d-day he would not be awarded the arrowhead. The campaign dates for eligibility are out there,Just jam the keyboard.

Good luck

Bob

Campaign dates are not a problem and as you can see on my first post, he was on Omaha on D-day.

There are two bronze stars both on his medal and ribbon but that can be explained by that he was transfered to SHAEF before the arrowhead was authorized.

But still, did arrowhead replaced the star or is it proper to have both Arrow and star if you landed on D-day and kept on fighting in the Normandy campaign?

Arrowhead for the landing,star for the Normandy campaign.If he was in the area of another campaign, he would be eligible for another star.

Let us break it down. If your mans story is correct...Arrowhead for landing.Star for the Normandy campaign.Second star for another campaign.Then wounded and reassigned to Shaef. Bronze star maybe for valor or the CIB conversion.Only he could tell you about substituting the star for the arrowhead.

But as others have said,many mistakes and omissions when it comes to awards.

I have a copy of a handwritten letter from the vet himself, he wrote "landed with the second wave on Omaha beach on D-day"

The 18th was sceduled to land at 09:30 but landed at 10:00 and the fighting was still heavy.

He was wounded late -44 i France, came to a evac hospital and after that transfered to SHAEF. He also had occupation duty, I have a photo of him in Germany oct. -45.

I have seen his medals, the Purple Heart has a oakleaf so wounded twice.

I guess that the missing arrowhead is just a mistake from his side, probebly not aware of that he could have had it.

Thanks for your answers.

• 1 year later...

I was doing some research on the arrowhead device and I came across this thread.

I thought that I would post something that I found while doing the arrowhead research:

It is a 2014 decision from the Army Board for the Correction of Military Records.

The applicant was the son of a World War II veteran. The applicant's father had participated in the D-Day invasion but his official record did not reflect the award of an arrowhead for the European Campaign Medal, nor did it reflect the award of the World War II Victory Medal.

The board reviewed the evidence submitted (which it noted was problematic due to the fire at the NPRC) and the Board concluded that the records of the applicant's father should be officially corrected to show the award of the arrowhead for D-Day participation, as well as the award of the Victory Medal.

http://boards.law.af.mil/ARMY/BCMR/CY2013/20130009439.txt

The arrowhead device is worn in addition to a campaign star. It was also one of those devices that clearly stated "I was there." For a veteran to not wear one that he earned would be akin to a marine today not wearing his combat action ribbon. How often does that happen Brig?

Allan

Just saw this...15 months later

I've seen it happen a handful of times, and not just pertaining to CARs. I have a buddy who refuses to wear his Purple Heart. I've seen his NavCom cert...he more than earned it