WWI book review: American Lions: The 332nd Infantry Regiment in Italy in World War I

USAFnav

This large-format book by Robert and Rebecca Dalessandro covers the history of the 332nd Infantry Regiment, part of the 83rd Division, from inception in September, 1917, through its tour of duty in England, France, and Italy, until its disbandment in May, 1919. The Dalessandro's quote extensively from primary sources, including memoirs and questionnaire answers from the World War I Veteran's Survey Collection at the U.S. Army Military History Institute at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania. The result is a fairly complete picture of the regiment's activities throughout its World War I existance.

Of special interest are the first hand accounts of the regiment's role in the Vittorio-Veneto battle and a rare account of the regiment's activities performing "peacekeeping" duties in Dalmatia and Montenegro after the armistice.

The high point of this book, however, is the collection of superb photographs, most from the Military History Institute's collection, that document the regiment in Italy. Also, collectors of militaria will be pleased by the inclusion of many color photographs of the regiment's tunics, patches, and ribbons. There is also a regimental roster included. The only drawback, for me, is the absence of good quality maps. There are a few pictured, but they are photographs of maps that had belonged to regiment members; they do not depict the regiment's role in the Vittorio-Veneto battle in anywhere near the detail preferred by readers such as I.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in the role of American troops in Italy during the war.

Pete

Dalessandro, Robert J. and Rebecca S. Dalessandro. American Lions: The 332nd Infantry Regiment in Italy in World War I. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Military History, 2010. Hard cover, 254pp.

yeah, Bob had aces to a LOT of good stuff. It may interest some to know he has just stepped down as Chief of Military History for the Army, to be the head honcho at the Battlefield Monuments Commission.