50's Era Collar Discs

36-tex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is a Quartermaster disc that I had never seen until I found it on eBay. This to me is a really great catch! Sorry that the phone pic isn't the highest quality.

post-153340-0-68007800-1478555751.jpg

post-98-0-26241900-1415315082.jpg

I do believe these are Chemical Corps backings Tex, Cobalt Blue and Gold.

post-34986-0-88044100-1478625572.png

As we know, in the 50s when this type with Branch backings are worn with domed or flat discs, the AC since 1947 was no longer a Branch of the Army.

• 1 year later...
bertmedals

I was in a local antique shop today and ran across an Ike jacket with these types of collar discs on it (pictures below). I didn't know what they were since I don't collect that era but luckily found this thread -- thanks to everyone who posted to it. I thought perhaps this would be of interest.

I didn't buy the Ike. Is this something I should go back and buy? It wouldn't be a keeper for me but I'd gladly move it on to someone on the Forum who collects this type of militaria.

Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, etc. you may be willing to offer.

Dennis

post-1496-0-60670900-1527388101.jpg

Here's a view of the US disc. I tried to get a shot of the edge.

Thanks again.

Yeah go back and get it for sure, it's a 5th Regimental Team Combat Korean War vets IKE, that's named,(it's got Serial/Laundry Number), and you can't beat those discs. can't make out the other patch for the moment. Let us know if you do get it.

bertmedals

Yeah go back and get it for sure, it's a 5th Regimental Team Combat Korean War vets IKE, that's named,(it's got Serial/Laundry Number), and you can't beat those discs. can't make out the other patch for the moment. Let us know if you do get it.

Thanks very much for that advice. BTW, the patch on the left sleeve is the 71st Infantry Division. There is also an infantry piped overseas cap with a 5th Infantry Regiment DUI. Picture below.

post-1496-0-16333500-1527432127.jpg

Thanks very much for that advice. BTW, the patch on the left sleeve is the 71st Infantry Division. There is also an infantry piped overseas cap with a 5th Infantry Regiment DUI. Picture below.

Good stuff, when this IKE was worn, the 5th Infantry was off Regimental Combat Team status, and was a normal regiment then assigned to the reactivated 71st Infantry Division, Fort Lewis Washington.

In 1954 the 71st Infantry Division was reactivated in the northwest United States and Alaska as the division headquarters for several geographically separated units, to include the 53rd Infantry Regiment headquartered at Fort Richardson Alaska, with additional units stationed at Fort Greely, and the 4th and5th Infantry Regiments at Fort Lewis. The 723rd Tank Battalion was also withdrawn from the Army Reserve and activated at Camp Irwin California and assigned to the 71st. In this status the division was known as a "static division" not capable of or intended for deployment..The division lasted in this status for less than two years, being inactivated at Fort Lewis on 15 September 1956.

• 3 years later...

Here's a Artillery Red Plastic Cap Device Backing Disc applied on a Helmet Liner, a 4th Army decaled liner, bet it was worn at Fort Sill OK by a TO&E Artillery unit there in the 50s to mid-sh 60s, as several separate non divisional Artillery Battalions were stationed there and fell undrr 4th Army. When III Corps was reactivated and made a tactical field corps, all these artillery battalions now fell under III Corps, and became III Corps Artillery.

arty.PNGarty 2.PNG

arty3.PNG

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Chris said:

Here's a pair of pinwheel Engineers. 18K gold plated.

20220301_142743.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous, Are they yours? If so great find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While not a collar disc, the hat badge with the blue background is from my enlisted hat badge collection.

Larry

Hat Badge, 3-C-4-2-F.jpg

Hat Badge, 3-C-4-2-R.jpg

8 hours ago, rtd_sf_eng said:

While not a collar disc, the hat badge with the blue background is from my enlisted hat badge collection.

Larry

Hat Badge, 3-C-4-2-F.jpg

Hat Badge, 3-C-4-2-R.jpg

That is nice, Nickel too. Probably from the very late 50s into the 60s wen the new AG 44 Class As come out, and with it the reintroduction of the Service cap, where in this vase Nickel Buttons on the coat were worn.

• 11 months later...

Here's a most curious one, Red Artillery Branch Plastic Backing Disc, with a Domed 50s Clutch Back. The curious thing is it is for a K Battery, in the 50s there were no more Batteries in a Field Artillery or Antiaircraft Battalion above C or D. That it is for K Battery implies a Regiment, K Battery being in the Regiment's 3rd Battalion, but Field Artillery Regiments whether  Regular Army, National Guard and the Organized Reserves were all broken up in to individual Battalions in early WWII.

Your Thoughts Please

red disc.jpg

red discn.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 1:25 AM, patches said:

Here's a most curious one, Red Artillery Branch Plastic Backing Disc, with a Domed 50s Clutch Back. The curious thing is it is for a K Battery, in the 50s there were no more Batteries in a Field Artillery or Antiaircraft Battalion above C or D. That it is for K Battery implies a Regiment, K Battery being in the Regiment's 3rd Battalion, but Field Artillery Regiments whether  Regular Army, National Guard and the Organized Reserves were all broken up in to individual Battalions in early WWII.

Your Thoughts Please

red disc.jpg

red discn.jpg

Hey maybe this one isn't a 50s one but a 30s one????

Because we seen domed ones in WWII.

See last post in this topic post #101  

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185866-history-of-the-collar-disk/page/5/#comment-3009329

• 8 months later...
patches

Military Police Green Plastic Backings, on a Khaki Twill Shirt around 1946-1947, A Panama stationed MP unit of the Panama Canal Department, The patch, which is one of those Attached PANAMA Tab ones, is still worn, at this time, that is till the unit is disestablished in November 1947, and it's elmts now fall under the  Caribbean, Defense Command, which was redesignated at this time U.S. Army Caribbean. 

mp panama.jpg

mp panama b.jpg

patches
On 11/25/2014 at 9:52 PM, 36-tex said:

Military Police

post-98-0-52562500-1416970337.jpg

post-98-0-79852400-1416970339.jpg

Looking at these now, a Screwback Disc, Translucent Disc, I'm guessing this is not an MP Colored Disc from the 1950s but are from the 1930s. As there was no 33rd Military Police Battalion then, perhaps these are for the 33rd Military Police Company 33rd Division.