'Look Up' DUI For ID- Coastal Artillery?

Brig

It is for the 544th coastal artillery corps. try this website for future use. http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Motto.aspx

-Dave

Must be for the old 544th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment, this unit was disbanded some time in 1942, not the first time TIOH gets a unit number or designation wrong, it doesn't happen much thankfully.

http://cdsg.org/old/reprint%20PDFs/CACreg2.pdf

Does anyone know any of their history? All I can find is they were 1 of 5 240mm Howitzer batteries

wonder why they were disbanded in 42 and not brought back for the war

yeah, saw that after I posted, and edited my reply

Right. As to their disbandement, several Coast Artillery Regiments and Coast Artillery Anti Aircraft Regiments were done away starting in 1942, even though the Army kept activating some in 1942. The Army was shifting to the Battalion level organization for the AAA units, by 1944 all of them were broken up. There was a 544th Anti Aircraft Battalion in the war, but it was formed by using assets and personel the 2nd Battalion 604th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment, one of those new Regiments formed in 1942, formed March and broken up in September 1943 to form separate AAA Battalions one of which was the 544th.

The 544th AAA Bn? Well it never left the states, active for alittle less than a year, stationed in New York City were it was first formed, on 1September 1943and inactivated at Ft Chaffee Arkansas on 11 August 1944, I suspect this was one of those AAA units that was inactivated so it's men could be reclassified as Infantrymen sent overseas as Infantry replacements, especially in the ETO.

The ASMIC Motto List has "Look Up" as the motto for the 548th Coast Artillery.

:)

Dave

My Motto List and a 1940s or early 50s Trading Post both say 544th CA Regt

For curiousity does ASMIC have a photo of DI listed as 548th AA Regt? I did a brief search of some of my back isses of The Trading Post, no luck so far, but then I got around a 100 or more issues :lol:

Well which ever it is, 544th or 548th it has the same fate, disbanded, personel used more than likely as Infantry Replacments.

Sorry, no photo, just the motto and the unit designation. I don't know if there is more than one edition of the ASMIC Motto List but the date on the one I have is 2003. :)

Dave

I do not know the year and issue of The Trading Post in which I found the illustration.

However, on Mark Berhow's outstanding site, there is a color image attributing this to the 544th:

cdsg.org