Gunner Wings pattern

militarymodels

militarymodels

Hello again gentlemen,

Here I have 2 pairs of gunner wings, and if my assumption is correct, they are original and produced during WW2. I think they have exact same patern except for the location of the "Sterling" mark on the back, I've also seen one with the "sterling" marked on the upper left corner. Anway, my question is are they from the same maker? and anybody knows who produced these? Thanks again! Lonny

1.jpg

2.jpg

John Cooper

Lonny,

I have yet to find out who produced this specific wing... it has a distinctive forcer pattern and a very bold "winged bullet" design. I have never seen them marked any other way then STERLING (raised) although other variations may exist. Something I have noticed is that the area below the shoulder is often found to be lacking in detail i.e. smooth vs. seeing others with a very clean stike.

Off the top of my head I can not seem to recall seeing this specific pattern in anything other than the AG wing... maybe some other folks here can post examples they have in their collection.

John

IMHO probably produced by the same maker ---but not from he same dies. Don't know who that was. Note the cut-outs to the left & right of the wings on the lower piece. Also the dark painted finish on the upper wing. I would venture to say that the lower wing is probably a bit older than the upper wing. Location of the 'sterling' mark is arbitrary. My 2-cents. Keep 'em Flying!

Bobgee

militarymodels

I just found this post from Robert that he's got the wings from the GEMSCO box although not 100% sure if it was GEMMSCO made. The pattern and sterling mark position is the same as the first wings, but his has a cut-out between the left and right of the bullet and the wings. So many variation of these pattern:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=21281

Here is just about as mint an example of these wings as you can find. Sadly, I dont have a camera, and my scanner can only give you an idea of how truly mint these wings are. The flat matte finish on the back is actually the original silver "frosting" finish that is frequently polished off on these wings. I am afraid that if I am not careful, just handling these beauties will start the tarnish process.

minty minty minty.

Patrick

post-1519-1215066911.jpg

militarymodels

NICE! !! w00t.gif Thanks for sharing Patrick.

Here is just about as mint an example of these wings as you can find. Sadly, I dont have a camera, and my scanner can only give you an idea of how truly mint these wings are. The flat matte finish on the back is actually the original silver "frosting" finish that is frequently polished off on these wings. I am afraid that if I am not careful, just handling these beauties will start the tarnish process.

minty minty minty.

Patrick