rusty webing

camillus

Hi I have an M8a1 knife/bayonet scabbard and the web frog is rusty, how can I remove the rust. I don't have it yet so I 'll post the ebay listing Thanks

scroll down past the pennants

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vintage-WWII-USN-MK2-Navy-FIGHTING-KNIFE-With-SHEATH-E51-/171493686122?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=4Qi%2BXwBsR7Em0K5MzKuqszcsbf4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

There are people who swear by lemon juice or vinegar and salt. Never tried it, but it is common. Do a Google Search on removing rust stains from cotton.

Personally, the only few times that I have had rust stains on web gear, I used Whinks Rust Stain Remover. Available at most Walmarts, K-Mart, Ace Hardware. Try it in an inconspicuous spot, but it worked OK for me without taking the color out of the webbing. Did make it a little lighter, last time I ended up doing the whole hanger so it would match.

Scrubbing with Woolite or similar will remove some staining also, as well as dirt and some oils.

PS: That is a USN Mark 2 scabbard, not a M8A1.

Gary

Whatever you use, make sure that you rinse it out thoroughly after treatment. Many of those treatments are acidic, and can destroy the material in the long term if not neutralized.

thanks for the advice and the ID on the scabbard, I haven't learned the difference yet the differnce between manufactures alone is mind boggling.