SOS '14 Find - KIA Armor Officer

Baron3-6

So between SOS '13 and '14 I had two very good finds. SOS '13 was a parially stripped engineer officer's coat with a name inside that put it to a CPT who landed with the 6th ESB on Omaha Beach and earned a Bronze Star there. It was in a pile of "bargain" uniforms....I thought that would be hard to top......until SOS '14.

With Fury being all the rage now, showing the final harrowing days of armored combat in Germany, 1945, I thought this was a good time to share this uniform.

For some reason at SOS '14 I just walked over toward the back corner as soon as I went in, walked up to a rack of jackets and seeing the 13th Armored Div patch, it was the first jacket I pulled in the whole show. I hadn't been in the whole show more than 10 minutes. It was an officer's uniform with pink and green pants, 2LT bars, US's, 13th AD patch. I looked in the pocket - a full name and a small Bible in very used shape. In the Bible, same name, home address. Uniform was pristine - even had a strange tailor tag. I thought - well, 13th wasn't in much fighting, but I liked having a full name and the Bible with it - I made an offer on it and another item and it was accepted. It was a two figure offer. The seller said "Hey, those tanker boots were in the same trunk with that uniform if you're interested" Two pairs of custom Dehner tanker boots were there on the table - but they were $200 per pair - very rich for me. I thanked him and walked away. That was Friday.

I got home that night and ran the name - he was from Texas and should have graduated from A&M in 1945, but instead went to Armor OCS. I almost fell out of my chair when it showed him as KIA, only with 6th Armored Division in Germany Feb, 1945. Evidently he had trained with 13th, but left as a replacment officer for the 6th. The funny tag on the jacket was the personl effects inventory tag.

I went back on Saturday to buy a set of early tanks to complete the lapels - thanks to my buddy BigJohn#3rd - those were easy.

As people were packing up, I went back and asked the seller if I could just take a picture of the boots - just to show what he wore. He turned to me and stated very simply "$100 for both pair - I'm not taking them home" Well, I dang near broke my arm reaching for my wallet.

I'm still waiting for the IDPF (should be any time now) for further details. I display his uniform across from an another uniform of a Lt who made the ultimate sacrifice - that one was my best friend in 2010. Someday maybe I'll feel like sharing that uniform, but not for now. Here is the Armor Lt's uniform. The Bible and tag are displayed with a picture of him and an un-nammed PH I added along with a 6th AD patch.

So in memory of Him that was - who fought and sacrificed, I take care of his uniform for now.

post-83679-0-61915100-1413967195.jpg

I would but its in storage now.....you can see the tag in the frame to the left of the small bible. It was attached the belt buckle of the jacket when found. It's very simple and just has one number on it - not associated with his serial number, etc.

wow great set, and good job at researching the vet, I wonder how much it would be worth if you replaced the 13th armored patch with a 2nd armored patch.

carbinephalen

These KIA uniforms are true tributes to these brave men that sacrificed it all for this country. You should feel honored to share his story with us! Many thanks!

wow great set, and good job at researching the vet, I wonder how much it would be worth if you replaced the 13th armored patch with a 2nd armored patch.

Yeah this is one I bought but I don't think I can sell. Donate / pass on to someone else...yes. Sell, no.

$10,000 is what a KIA uniform cost during the war, but that was cheap compared to the real cost.

I also just wanted to post this to say you never know what will surface....even at SOS where the best of the best meet, there are great items waiting to be found. Thanks for the comments guys, I'll add more as I find it out to the thread.

I also wanted to say that as I researched this, his Dad was an A&M grad too, WWI vet. His uncle was KIA as a medic in the 36th Division in WWI. This fellow was the only son - I assume the uniform was in the estate of a sister and was sold. I can't imagine how the old man dealt with it having lost both a brother and his only son.