Passing of my Grandfather 1st Lt. Fred Bahlau 101st AB 506th 10-21-14

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Again, Thank you all for the great comments!

Here is what Funeral information I have right now. This should be a large Military and Veteran involved funeral. If any of you are close enough and wish to attend, please do so and if you're a Veteran, it would be appreciated if you could wear something to represent your Military service. (And as my Gramps would jokingly say: Even if you're from that other AB unit, who are they again, something like the 82nd?) :D

The Funeral is planned for Thursday Oct. 30 at the "Borek Jennings Funeral Home" 137 S Main St, Brooklyn, MI 49230. I don't have the times yet, but believe it will be in the afternoon.

Government Issue

Troy I am sorry for your loss. I will be praying for your family this week. God speed and Curahee Lt. Bahlau! May you join your brothers in eternal peace.

Fred Bahlau was one of the Greatest Men I ever knew. We met a long time ago and I had the honor to go to Europe many times with him. He was a very dear friend. I had a chance to visit him last January. For those who don't know he was one of the most fearless men in the 506th and one of smartest assigned there ever. He was the essence of the 506th. A FEARLESS combatant and still the "Mother Hen" . He was a Man amongst Men.

Soft Landings,

I Miss you my Friend!

(I'll bring the stockings)

Troy, words aren't enough to express my sincere condolences on the passing of your Grandfather. I know how much he meant to you, and over the years of getting to know you and your dedication to history, your service to your country and your honor in remembering those who went before you and fought for freedom and peace, like you have, I can only imagine what kind of guy your grandfather must have been.

I'm sure he was as proud of you as you were of him. I envy those who knew him, but by knowing you, I feel I knew him in any case.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family,

Currahee Lt. Bahlau! RIP.

Rick

Sincere condolences and sympathy for you and your family. Remember the good times and take comfort in the time you shared together.

RIP.

teufelhunde.ret

Take solace in the fact the pain of this loss will leave someday and delightful memories will remain, thoughts and prayers are with you, friends and family.

Troy...I'm extremely saddened to hear that news. America has lost another member of its "greatest generation". You have every reason to be immensely proud of your late grandfather's service and achievements, the memory of which you will always keep in your heart. My sincere condolences to both you and yours.

Ian.

When the long roll is called he shall stand in the place of honor,1st company on the right,1st platoon 1st squad.Sorry for your loss.Job well done soldier , rest in peace. Mike

Hi Troy,

My Deepest Condolences go out to you and your Family at this time !! He will be deeply missed by many people

around the world that knew him, God Bless him and may he Rest In Peace forever. He will be missed by many

and Never Forgotten.. He is in my taught' s and Prayers God Bless his Soul.

Tomás.

My deepest admiration and respect for your grandfather. My condolences to you and your family. May he rest in peace with his brothers...

Leigh

I went on the Band of Brothers trip in 2009 and met your Grandpa. What a great guy! Man we had a blast tramping all over Europe and he was one heck of a firsthand tour guide. He spoke very highly of you - obviously very proud of your military service. I felt a real kinship with Fred. We kept in contact over the years since the trip and I loved hearing the stories of his experiences. He sent me copies of several of his maps and of pictures from WWII, and I will treasure them forever. I hope he landed softly on his last jump. And I hope he is not reeking too much havoc up there in heaven. And since he was such a great guy, patriot, and warrior --- "I take back a few of the bad things I said about him.." LOL. I always laughed when he said that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. [The picture attached is me and Fred at the rail station in Opheusden, Holland. Man I could listen to that story over and over...]

post-154736-0-40927000-1414078516.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks for all the kind words! Yes he was living history for sure and I to, loved that story!

FUNERAL UPDATE:

Location: "Borek Jennings Funeral Home" 137 S Main St, Brooklyn, MI 49230

Visitation: Tues October 28th and Wed. October 29th 2-4 PM and 6-8 PM each day.

Funeral & Burial: The ceremony will begin at noon on Thursday October 30th at the Borek Jennings funeral home and the procession will follow to Woodlawn Cemetery Jackson, MI for the burial.

Thanks again for all the comments

Troy

Very sorry for your loss, Troy. At least you appreciated him and his service while he was alive and I'm sure that meant the world to him. We all mourn his passing, as well.

Kyle

Government Issue

Troy, I just stumbled across this and I believe this is footage of the photograph you posted showing the 101 receiving awards after the invasion. Your grandfather can be seen on the film. http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675070462_101st-Airborne-Division_soldiers-stand_awarded-medals_people-watch

Joseph

Troy, my deepest and sincerest of condolences to you my friend.I've always admired that photo of you and your grandfather at the American Cemetery and how you had such an awesome heritage. May God carry him upon the wings of His glory!

Troy, I just stumbled across this and I believe this is footage of the photograph you posted showing the 101 receiving awards after the invasion. Your grandfather can be seen on the film. http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675070462_101st-Airborne-Division_soldiers-stand_awarded-medals_people-watch

Joseph

Wow, that sure looks like Troy's grandfather right at the end!

Troy, I'm sorry for your loss and the loss of another member of the Greatest Generation. I always enjoyed reading you talk about your grandfather, and even though I never met him, having met you I know he was a great man.

Jim

USMC-RECON0321

Wow, that sure looks like Troy's grandfather right at the end!

I've have a copy of this video on reel to reel that my Grandfather has. Scott yes that is him on the far right of the formation and look at this clip, the camera is on him with a close up starting about the 2 minute 34 second mark to the end.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675070461_101st-Airborne-Division_soldiers-stand_Maxwell-D-Taylor_Troy-H-Middleton

Troy

Sorry for the loss of your Granfather

All the best to you and your family in this time of sorrow.Deepest sympathy and condolences to you all......

USMC-RECON0321

Yes that is him and the lady next to him in that screen shot we met along with Mark Bando on our return to Normandy in 2000. Here is a picture from that meeting.

post-33000-0-21693000-1414119355.jpg