Passing of my Grandfather 1st Lt. Fred Bahlau 101st AB 506th 10-21-14

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello fellow forum members, today we lost an American Hero and pillar of my Family, My Grandfather Fred Bahlau. I'm very sad to report he passed early this morning. He lived an extraordinary life of 91 years and was an amazing warrior during WWII with the 101st Airborne Division, 506th, fighting in Normandy on D-Day, Holland and Batogne. He received two silver stars, two bronze stars and battle field commissioned leaving the Army after the war as a 1st lieutenant. He was very proud of his service to his Country and his brothers in arms. He was 101st AB all the way to the end!! He instilled those values on to his family starting at a young age and as a direct result many of our family grew up to serve our country as he did and still are! Beyond Fred Bahlau the warrior, there was an amazing family and business man that could accomplish anything he put his mind to! He will be greatly missed by us all, especially the great conversations and stories! I am so proud to be his flesh and blood! Love and miss you Gramps!

Mark Bando has written about him in several of his books and he's been interviewed several times for the history channel. My Grandfather is also the trooper at the far right of the famous picture of the 101st Medal ceremony in Carentan receiving his 1st silver star.

Here is one article about his history;

http://old.506infantry.org/hiswwii/his3rdbnwwiiarticle06.html

I know several members on here know my grandfather personally and I wanted to post this tribute to make sure the news got out to all that knew him or of him.

Thank you

Troy Bahlau

post-33000-0-02996600-1413920895.jpg

post-33000-0-91944400-1413920927.jpg

post-33000-0-78488300-1413920968.jpg

Don't sorrow in his loss, but cherish his existence . A hero among men who fought for this country and will be remembered by many.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Troy. You must be very proud of your grandfather. Truly one of the greats of the Greatest Generation. RIP Trooper.

Troy, very sorry to hear about the passing of your grandfather. I'm sure he was a great man and your family has plenty to be proud of!

Troy, very sorry to hear about the passing of your grandfather. I'm sure he was a great man and your family has plenty to be proud of!

Amen, you and your family have much to be proud of. Mr. Bahlau, thank you for your service, may you rest in peace!

suwanneetrader

Troy So Sorry for your and your family's loss. Even when our loved ones have a long and full life it is still a difficult time when we lose them. He was part of our "Greatest Generation" Richard

Kurt Barickman

Sorry for your loss Troy, have heard and read about your Grandfather for several years now due to Mark Bando's books. Nice shot in Normandy of you in the reinforced suit on the Brevands Berm.

Kurt

BigDogMilitaria

Sorry for your loss Troy. Ive read quite a bit about you Grandfather over the years and heard a lot as well. He was a great man from all accounts.