Show your Sterling Wings

Banjo

Patrick - I agree and to assist you in cleaning up your collection of the ugly ducklings I will gladly take them off your hands for a small fee to be agreed on at a later date ;)

I hope to have a photo of some recent additions to post soon - blackington - lampl - orber so stay tuned!

John

OK here are a couple:

Orber Sterling Silver Flight Surgeon:

post-182-1201875294.jpg

GEMSCO Pattern Gold Flight Surgeon

post-182-1201875314.jpg

AND A very cool 3 piece Flight Nurse:

post-182-1201875421.jpg

Paul

Not wings, but a nice change of pace. These are a variety of USN PT boat badges, combat submarine badges and misc items.

A mix of pin back, clutch back and tie clasp attachments. A variety of makers and styles.

post-1519-1201911683.jpg

Patrick,

Do I see an Army Air Corps rescue boat badge on the bottom right?

Nice!

Chris

Not wings, but a nice change of pace. These are a variety of USN PT boat badges, combat submarine badges and misc items.

A mix of pin back, clutch back and tie clasp attachments. A variety of makers and styles.

Yes, a nice Army Air Corps rescue badge it is!

I still find these on a relatively regular basis at the flea markets.

Here is a nice family of "Juarez" wings. These wings were more than likely made by the jewelry company of Walter Lampl during WWII. IT seems they moved from the New York area to Mexico during the war to take advantage of the labor and material. I have been in contact with a number of Lampl collectors who tell me that during the war, they made these wings and other items and then sold them to a number of retail stores through-out the Southwest US. These wings are typically marked either Sterling or Coin Silver. Rarely, you will find them with the Walter Lampl hallmark of a WL in a shield (http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/images/lampl.jpg for example).

They seem to have made the pilot, service, liaison, and glider pilot, observer, bombardier and aircrewman wings (I cant recall if they also made the navigator wing, but I think they did). I once saw a gunner wing but I dont know if this was a post hoc modification. The Juarez wings were also used as a base for one of the WASP class wings, and I have seen a WTS instructor with that used a Juarez wing as its base.

These wings have a very characteristic pin and hinge.

Patrick

Patrick,

Do I see an Army Air Corps rescue boat badge on the bottom right?

Nice!

Chris

post-1519-1202017700.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1202164545.jpgpost-344-1202164572.jpg

Hi to all on this extended post on wings, This is the only pair I have to hand at the moment to post, however I do like the filled back on them almost as much as the front. Cheers ( Lewis )

• 3 weeks later...
Austin_Militaria

1st Posting. Glad to be part of the group.

Here are a couple. Air Crew are English, Made by Gaunt. The gunner piece is rare, not many people have seen this. Marked Amco Co. Can't recall where it was worn, I believe on the overseas cap. This was the qualification badge before the wing was authorized.

Rob S.

Austin, TX

Austin_Militaria

post-2578-1203914479.jpg

post-2578-1203915134.jpg

Ok this is interesting... because the AGs worn the AC wing approved in 1942 (AR 600-35) which was updated in 1943 to auth the new AG wing. To me it seems a bit strange to go from a AC wing to the winged bullet. I have seen something similar on Ebay but thought is was a sweetheart item. maybe the person who told you of the article can scan it for you and you can provide some additional details.

Cheers

Austin_Militaria

This was several years ago, I do not recall who had told me this,

I will start a new thread for more exposure on this. I am sure someone has some more info to share.

Actually, I remember reading that this was an aerial gunner marksmanship award given out to the best gunner in the class. I will see if I can find the reference

Here are a couple that came with tunics. One is marked sterling, and the other one I assume is sterling, though it isn't marked as such.

post-333-1204331860.jpg

Rob, the ASMIC issue is Vol. LVI no 4, the Oct-Dec of 1997 issue, on page 16. I would scan it for you but my @#$% scanner is down, hope this helps, Mark.

I have been told there is an ASMIC article out there about them. I have not seen it though.