show your POST ww2 2nd armored division jackets!

WW2JAKE

im looking to see post ww2 jackets from the 2nd armored division i recently found out my (step)grandpa was in the 2nd armored in 1946 to the end of his service he was 15 when he enlisted in 1945 after lying so id like to see any and all post ww2 uniforms from the 2nd ive always had an interest in them and was given a 1980's 2nd armored m65 of a captain who was a pilot and had his jump wings so show anything you got!

so obviously to start is my m65 belonging to a captain Sapp

post-125364-0-40751300-1413429527.jpgpost-125364-0-42346800-1413429529.jpg

Looks like Sapp was a Warrant Officer actually nice M-65.

you know it didnt occur to me until you said that, that captain bars would go the other way... but i guess since im not familiar with Warrant officer ranks that it didnt register. thanks for correcting me!

Here's one from my collection. A german made one from the early post war period. Battery C of the 78th FA BN. This uniform also has interesting plastic ribbon bar.

Chris

post-17690-0-87297800-1413446811.jpg

post-17690-0-15275500-1413446821.jpg

post-17690-0-00771200-1413446836.jpg

post-17690-0-96960600-1413446849.jpg

post-17690-0-58415500-1413446861.jpg

post-17690-0-53120800-1413446874.jpg

Here's one from my collection. A german made one from the early post war period. Battery C of the 78th FA BN. This uniform also has interesting plastic ribbon bar.

Chris

that is an amazing jacket! and if i had to guess id say that ribbon is russian made, ive seen russian ribbons made just like that except for the metal sides

post-125364-0-11153400-1413449343.jpg

you know it didnt occur to me until you said that, that captain bars would go the other way... but i guess since im not familiar with Warrant officer ranks that it didnt register. thanks for correcting me!

No, captain's rank insignia would be oriented the same way when worn on the shoulder loops, but it's two parallel silver bars. Sapp was a Chief Warrant Officer 2.

that is an amazing jacket! and if i had to guess id say that ribbon is russian made, ive seen russian ribbons made just like that except for the metal sides

The occupation ribbon is almost certainly German made, just like everything else on that jacket except the PFC chevrons. You see a lot of unusual German made ribbon bars during the early occupation period right after WWII.

The occupation ribbon is almost certainly German made, just like everything else on that jacket except the PFC chevrons. You see a lot of unusual German made ribbon bars during the early occupation period right after WWII.

like i said if i had to guess, not im pretty sure

Captainofthe7th

I think this is my only 2d Armored Division uniform...right sleeve has a 25th Division patch. The Hell on Wheels tab is German made bevo style. The overseas bars and the ribbon bar/CIB are also German made. It's a pretty sharp jacket.

post-3190-0-46571100-1413516247.jpg

Rob

I think this is my only 2d Armored Division uniform...right sleeve has a 25th Division patch. The Hell on Wheels tab is German made bevo style. The overseas bars and the ribbon bar/CIB are also German made. It's a pretty sharp jacket.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 11.21.11 PM.jpg

Rob

thats a nice one! i am gonna try to find a early post war american made 2nd armored jacket so i can display it for my grandpa

im looking to see post ww2 jackets from the 2nd armored division i recently found out my (step)grandpa was in the 2nd armored in 1946 to the end of his service he was 15 when he enlisted in 1945 after lying so id like to see any and all post ww2 uniforms from the 2nd ive always had an interest in them and was given a 1980's 2nd armored m65 of a captain who was a pilot and had his jump wings so show anything you got!

so obviously to start is my m65 belonging to a captain Sapp

attachicon.gif37.jpgattachicon.gif35.jpg

Hey Jake, quick question. It is probably stupid but why would someone in a tank div have aviator badges? I recently bought a BDU with an armored former wartime service patch, I forget the div, but it had an aviator patch like yours, and space for another patch below, I'm assuming jump wings. Just to give me some insight on what I bought, thanks!

Hey Jake, quick question. It is probably stupid but why would someone in a tank div have aviator badges? I recently bought a BDU with an armored former wartime service patch, I forget the div, but it had an aviator patch like yours, and space for another patch below, I'm assuming jump wings. Just to give me some insight on what I bought, thanks!

im not sure someone probably has a better answer than me. but my GUESS is that he was in the army possibly with an airborne unit? or he had to get his jump wings at some point. then became a warrant officer which then lead to him becoming a helicopter pilot with for example the 1st Battalion, 3rd Aviation regiment. which was attached to the 2nd armored division. thats my best guess but other people may have a better answer as to what could have happened.

Every combat division has an Aviation unit, to include an Air Cavalry Squadron, or at least an Air Cavalry Troop. As to Jump Wings, maybe he just attended the school as a matter of course.

Every combat division has an Aviation unit, to include an Air Cavalry Squadron, or at least an Air Cavalry Troop. As to Jump Wings, maybe he just attended the school as a matter of course.

ive noticed alot of Army pilots jackets and uniforms have both aviator wings and jump wings (or Army Aviator badge and parachutist badge) not all but alot of the ones ive seen especially from the 80's to present have both i dont know if theres a reason for this or just coincidence.

ive noticed alot of Army pilots jackets and uniforms have both aviator wings and jump wings (or Army Aviator badge and parachutist badge) not all but alot of the ones ive seen especially from the 80's to present have both i dont know if theres a reason for this or just coincidence.

Coincidence. Like many or most Officers going back to the mid-ish late 1950s, Aviator Warrant Officers ( not so much Technical non Aviatior W/Os) attend Airborne School as a ticket punching application, it helps to have in their jacket to have as many courses and schools under their belt, this helps with there advancement through the ranks, nothing wrong with that. It also is a must for Officers in particular, for any future assignments to a Jump Qualified unit.

Coincidence. Like many or most Officers going back to the mid-ish late 1950s, Aviator Warrant Officers ( not so much Technical non Aviatior W/Os) attend Airborne School as a ticket punching application, it helps to have in their jacket to have as many courses and schools under their belt, this helps with there advancement through the ranks, nothing wrong with that. It also is a must for Officers in particular, for any future assignments to a Jump Qualified unit.

ahh makes sense