Ka-bar help?

gunner

Hi, i stumbled across this amazing site while looking for any information about a Ka-bar i purchased a while back. as far as i can tell its an early war knife but i have to admit this is definitely not my field. the knife is stamped KA-BAR Olean, N.Y.

the scabord or sheath is marked USN MK2 and on the back it is marked Nord - 8114 B.M. Co 1/3 V*P*

post-3483-1214708219.jpg

post-3483-1214708299.jpg

I would say you have a Navy Mk2 in a plastic fiber type scabbard.This scabbard replaced the earlier leather.I also am guessing from the pics your knife to be a late war pattern as it has no red spacers and the steel pommel on top of the knife ecuring the leather washer handle is a thick pommel where as early production were thinner.There exixts a pattern made by Cammillus that has a threaded on pommel but yours is the later welded/peened type.Check out the rest of the EDGED weapon section aas there are more threads and pics of Kabars.

RON

BOB K. RKSS

The ROUND Peened tang in thick pommel indicates early WWII production (late 1942 ~ early 1943), & is the Third style of KA-BAR (thicker grip without plastic spacers at ends). Value is on low side; because of blade finish damage, curve up removed from crossguard, & "U.S.N." marked (not U.S.M.C.; which would have 75% grater value in all conditions).

thanks for the input although both go in different directions. no where on the knife does it say usn or mk2 just on the scabbard. and im not sure that the curve up was removed it actually curves down on one and up on the other?...

Here is a topic I posted on a early WW2 USMC Kabar carried by a Navy Corpsman.http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18218Notice the slight bend to the guard.Later models were straight.Keep in mind that many Marines and sailors would alter there knives to suit there taste.Not uncommon to find later models where the owner bent the guard himself.Thia was also done at times to tighten the washers in the grip as the leather will and did shrink from getting wet and drying out.Frank Trazaska has done some arcticles on the Kabars.You should also pick up the book Military Knives a Reserance Book.Its not expensive and is full of arcticles on US military knives.

There is a variation where there is just Kabar on the blade and nothing else.

RON

thanks for the reply. i love this thing for what it is, what ever generation and year. idk theres something about anything from ww2 i just love it. i payed 80 bucks at a rediculously over priced army surplus store. just curios what would this knife go for? and also what can i do to preserve the leather in the handle? i used wd40 with 0000 fine steel wool to lightly take the rust off the knife and then at a V80 vci oil rust inhibitor but other than that i don't know how to properly take care of it. any comments tips or suggestions are very welcome!!!