Makers Of Navy MK2

camillus

Hi, I am new here, I am looking for a MK2. My question is did Camillus make them from WWII to Vietnam. What other companies made them. Thanks Mike

The 1219C2 pattern knives that were either marked U.S.M.C or U.S NAVY or U.S.N. were only made during WW2 as far as Government contract knives are concerned. The makers for these Government contracts during WW2 were Union Cutlery (KA-BAR), Camillus, PAL, Robeson. All of them made versions marked for the U.S. Navy.

Camillus made the knives thru WW2, in August of 1945 all the outstanding contracts for knives were cancelled. The U.S. had so many knives on hand at that time that no new contracts were awarded for the MK2 type knives until the 60's. By that time the Government had already changed the specifications on how the knives were to be marked. No branch of service appears on the post WW2 knives for this reason. Camillus received it's next Government contract in 1962. They continued to make Government contract knives until the very late 80's.

The companies that made them during the Vietnam era were Utica, Conetta, and Camillus (marked CAMILLUS, NY). Post Vietnam there were Camillus (no NY), Ontario, and MSI. Except for the marking, Utica Mark 2s were made to WWII specifications, while the rest had slightly different specs (i.e., seven rivet sheaths vs nine rivet sheaths, straight guard vs slightly bent guard).

USN Mark 2 were made only during WWII. Knives from 60´s production were for all branches as fighting knife.
Camillus changed marking - no NY in 1974.

Ontario received first contract in 1980.
MSI is very rare maker. They had contract in early 80´s, I don´t remember the exact year.

The MSI mk2s, 5498 were made for a contract in late 1982 and early 1983, for the Marines. I bought one at a gun show in Raleigh, NC, paid a premium price. There are two on e-bay now, also asking premium prices.They look pretty much like all the rest. I got most of this info from Garry Cunningham, bayonet man.

thanks that is good to know, I have limited my range of collection to WWII through Vietnam si I need to know the late marks as well

Camillus I have a nice conetta Mk2 on ebay that you may want to look at. It is under collectables, millitaria and US weapons. User name Howards 252