Air Force Academy Letterman jacket, dated April 25, 1958

DutchInfid3l

Air Force Academy Letterman jacket, dated April 25, 1958.

Contractor "Stu" Beresford, Inc. Denver Colorado.

Unnamed. Liner is almost fleece-like but I don't think it is...

I've tried to look up to see what the "star" represents. On a USMA site theirs represented beating Navy. Anyone know if it's the same representation? But Army instead?

post-3394-0-63079600-1413247583.jpg

Cool jacket! You have already discovered that the star is worn by West Point cadets for beating Navy. At Annapolis, they wear stars for defeating Army. Forum member Dave was an instructor at the USNA and the faculty sponsor for the Naval Academy Pistol Team. They were REALLY good. While visiting him one time, he pointed out a female midshipman that had something like nine of those stars on her letter jacket. I believe she was one of his pistol team members.

I don't know about the Army, but the Naval Academy has another strange tradition with their letter jackets. Most letter jackets are navy blue with a yellow "N" on them, but midshipmen who are in the lower quadrant of their class academically, wear a yellow jacket with a navy blue "N." Believe it or not, some of these "yellow jackets" take great pride in the fact that they wear them.

Members of varsity teams who qualify for their varsity letter receive a star, called an "N-Star," if they participate in a victory over Army in any sport designated "Star" competition. Navy has dominated the football series of late against West Point, winning the N-Star competition for 12-consecutive years.

I'm sorry my response isn't more USAFA specific, but I thought it might be interesting to share a little about the general subject.

Allan

By all means, explain away! I had heard something about different colored letters but nothing concrete. There doesn't seem to be much information on letterman letters/awards in general. Can't find many photos either.

I did find some information for the USAFA bathrobes in a new book that I had run across, one of the more humorous details was it said that cadets would sport "Dear John" chevrons.