504th PIR uniform grouping

DutchInfid3l

Received this from a good friend, it was his grandfathers; Rodney B. Pendergrass. Before I received it I was merely told that he was in Korea and that they would be sending his uniform in the mail, boy was I surprised when it arrived!

The grouping came with the jacket, pants, cap and photo. All insignia was attached with the exception of the jump wings.

He was a pretty STRAC soldier, all the pocket flaps are sewn shut, added a snap button above the button under the lapel to keep it shut, another button under the epaulet to hold the fourragere, and the fourragere itself is sewn together to keep the braid and cords together as one under the arm. The cap has a red satin lining. ETO patch on right shoulder.

My collection mainly focuses on USAF with a few Air Corps scattered about, but I am honored to have this as a part of my collection.

post-3394-0-55537300-1413173202.jpg

Any info on the Croix de guerre ribbons? also no Korean service ribbons but ww2 ribbons. Did he enlist toward the tail end of ww2?

• 4 years later...

We can conclude a couple of things based on the uniform as it sits. First, by virtue of the fact that there is an airborne tab above the 82nd SSI, we can conclude that it is pre 1947 or post 1948. The oval looks like a standard post WWII 504th oval just as the 504th DUIs are of the same era.

I have seen a number of these Ike jackets over the years with ribbons for the French and the Belgian Croix de Guerre. I would bet large sums of money that they are there based on unit awards rather than individual decorations, especially since there is no CIB, nor are there any US decorations.

Allan

• 1 month later...