Springfield Randall

Reeder3

Picked up my 1st WWII randall. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it. Marked U.S. On the Ricasso, logo appears to have been ground off.

post-136040-0-69694800-1412886834.jpg

post-136040-0-03215500-1412886844.jpg

post-136040-0-84513100-1412886851.jpg

8 1/4" blade. More pics. Just hope it doesn't turn out to be one of the knock-offs. Look and feel is right IMO but will see what others have to say.

post-136040-0-49448100-1412886918.jpg

post-136040-0-53948300-1412886945.jpg

I hear ya.

Nice looking and I hope its also aperiodone.THisis on my sort list of to get knives.

I saw one in the hands of a local vet.He served WW2 in the Pacific,ten Korea(Silver Star and PH there in an Artillery unt as an officer).after retired he went into the priesthood in the late 60s.

he told me his parent bought him the knife from Abercrmbie and Fitch in 43 or 44 before he went verseas.

He passed way and I have no clue what happned to his items.He wasnt married but had a niece and nephew.I was told they cleaned out the estate and were not from the areaIt was a beauty.Hope they kept it as he had a house full of military things from his years as a soldier.

Looking at it again in better lighting, I do not believe it is period correct. Fortunately I did not lose out on very much. Please leave pictures up for reference. I was unable to find any pictures of the repros anywhere else, only discussions and links to long closed auctions.

Yes, I wish that some of the pictures of knives discussed earlier had been saved. I've only recently figured out a good way to copy images from some of the auction sites to use for references.

I do remember one of the, (speculated), Eastern European knives being marked U.S. ARMY in a similar way. I'm not drawing any conclusions here. I only have some reference material when it comes to Randalls.

I just didn't know they were knocking these off. I know they fake a lot of the post nam era knives by removing the thong liner to try to have them appear as 60s nam era Randalls, but didn't know they actually produced knock offs. I actually have an early 70s 14 that someone had to remove the thong liner. It's still name era, guess they thought they'd try and get a few extra hundred by doing so. Oh well. Maybe Frank can use these photos or more of he needs them for his page on identifying fakes. Like I said, this was not a very expensive mistake for me but I hope the pics could be used to prevent anyone from getting burned in the future, especially given the going rate for these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...