Unbroken

Airborne1945

• 1 month later...

I am looking forward to seeing this film and especially the parts depicting his time as a POW. Considering how and where he was captured, the fact he survived it all is nothing short of a miracle.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing it on Christmas Day. The book was really good and I even got my wife to read it, so she is excited for the movie as well.

Greatly look forward to it!

Curious as to why someone would not want to see something so inspirational?

Can't stand to watch helpless American POWs being brutalized by the Japanese. I'm a son, nephew and cousin of Pacific War vets., to include Pearl Harbor. My music teacher was a Bataan Death March survivor. I know the story first hand and it wasn't pretty.

Bull Halsey said something inspirational: By the time we're done with them, the Japanese Language will be spoken only in hell.

W

ViewfinderGyrene

Can't stand to watch helpless American POWs being brutalized by the Japanese. I'm a son, nephew and cousin of Pacific War vets., to include Pearl Harbor. My music teacher was a Bataan Death March survivor. I know the story first hand and it wasn't pretty.

Bull Halsey said something inspirational: By the time we're done with them, the Japanese Language will be spoken only in hell.

W

Very understandable sir. Always found that quote very appropriate. As violent as the story of PTO POWs is, it is an incredible testament to human strength for those who survived.

What burns me up tremendously is that "The Bird" was never prosecuted!

W

I can respect that. I will be going along with my 20th Century Conflict class and some of the English classes, will probably see it before school resumes after the holidays. I have not read the book yet, just had too many things piled up to read. I am glad the English department assigned it, I think the kids today need to know something about what happened.

Can't stand to watch helpless American POWs being brutalized by the Japanese.

W

While I respect your right to your opinion regarding the movie, I don’t agree.

As collectors, we always talk about remembering the sacrifice. We also need to remember the perseverance, resilience, and even forgiveness of the Greatest Generation. I could not put the book down. This story is truly an amazing testament to how far one person can be pushed down yet still has the strength to rise back up to even greater heights.

If we refuse to tell/watch these stories of the Greatest Generation then we refuse to remember how much they sacrificed for our country. Stories such as this one need to be told and retold to future generations. We will never forget these brave men and women of the Greatest Generation.

...Kat

If we refuse to tell/watch these stories of the Greatest Generation then we refuse to remember how much they sacrificed for our country.

People like us don't have to be reminded of such thing, I think. I'd think just about any member of this forum 'gets it' already.

The great part of the sacrifices of these vets is that, unlike in many totalitarianistic countries, we aren't required to go see specific movies. If Wharfmaster don't wanna go see it, I'm in no position to tell him he's wrong as I'm quite sure he 'gets it' already.

As for me, movies like that can get pretty grueling. I'll wait for netflix as my wife wants NOTHING to do with this, her entire family has no major love for the Japanese and what they did to her late Grandfather who in his later years was left out of his mind, and her family is sure that fighting them had a lot to do with it.

People like us don't have to be reminded of such thing, I think. I'd think just about any member of this forum 'gets it' already.

You are correct that collectors get it and don’t have to be reminded about the horrors of war. However, I was not talking about collectors. And exactly where did I say that people are “required to go see specific movies”? And exactly where did I say that Wharfmaster was wrong? Please don’t try to twist my words around.

Members of the forum are always talking about how schools are not teaching enough about WWII. Why shouldn’t a movie be made that shows the horrors of the POWs during the Pacific War? Movies have been made about the horrors of the Holocaust. SPR and BOB showed the horrors of D-Day more than any previous movie. The Pacific showed the horrors of the Pacific War. Each one of those great movies/series had a story behind the horrors of war.

The book, Unbroken, is about so much more than Zamperini being tortured by the Japanese. It is about how a young man found a way out of his wild early days thru running. It is about how men survived 45 days in a raft fighting off sharks, Japanese planes, starvation, and lack of water. It is about the perseverance of men in the harshest of conditions and brutality. It is about men coming home and trying to resume life after the war.

Go see the movie or don’t go see the movie. That is your prerogative. However, the stories of these POWs deserve to be told.

My Father-in-law is a Pearl Harbor Survivor and my Uncle was a POW of the Japanese. Remembering what these men went through and getting movies made like this made while some of these men are still alive to advise on these films and "get the story right" is so important. Watch it or not, its a personal choice.

Once these men are gone, all we will have is the books, interviews, and diaries they left behind. Think of the Civil War films that have been made. No vets were alive when those films were made. Will we ever know what a real "rebel yell" sounded like?

Kurt

The only thing that upsets me more than watching American POWs being brutalized by the Japanese is all the naive people that love referring to the children of the Depression as " The Greatest Generation ".

Like all generations, some were great, some were not. I should know, I was raised by them.

W

W -

Yes there are good and bad people all around and in every generation. No one is being naive, they prefer to celebrate those who did make a positive difference in life. No one goes around celebrating the negative aspects of the 1930s, yet no one denies they happened.

I fail to understand what that last post has to do with the subject of "Unbroken"? I would have to guess that perhaps you do not like or approve of Zamperini. If that is true, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But let's not take this thread off on a tangent against people you do not like.

Thanks.

Will we ever know what a real "rebel yell" sounded like?

Kurt

Kurt,

I saw a show about that a few years ago and they found a recording(of Vets) of the Rebel yell and have the descriptions of many CW vets. They now know what it sounds like and how to do it correctly. The show showed the long journey that it took to get it right.

Terry

Will we ever know what a real "rebel yell" sounded like?

Kurt

Kurt,

I saw a show about that a few years ago and they found a recording(of Vets) of the Rebel yell and have the descriptions of many CW vets. They now know what it sounds like and how to do it correctly. The show showed the long journey that it took to get it right.

Terry

I will have to see if I can find that documentary! That would be a good one to watch.

It highlights what I am trying to say. The fact that those vets recorded what it sounded like gave those of us in a later generation a chance to hear it. If that had not been done, we would only be able to guess what it sounded like.

Kurt

W -

Yes there are good and bad people all around and in every generation. No one is being naive, they prefer to celebrate those who did make a positive difference in life. No one goes around celebrating the negative aspects of the 1930s, yet no one denies they happened.

I fail to understand what that last post has to do with the subject of "Unbroken"? I would have to guess that perhaps you do not like or approve of Zamperini. If that is true, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But let's not take this thread off on a tangent against people you do not like.

Thanks.

Thanks RC.

I believe the original question was: Are you going to the movie? I simply said "not me". It went down hill from there. I have had to defend myself ever since.

It's a great story and I have the book. I am not going to subject myself to viewing a film of unbridled Japanese brutality during WW2, that's it.

W

Thanks RC.

I believe the original question was: Are you going to the movie? I simply said "not me". It went down hill from there. I have had to defend myself ever since.

It's a great story and I have the book. I am not going to subject myself to viewing a film of unbridled Japanese brutality during WW2, that's it.

W

W-

Ok, let's leave it at that then.

My apology for possibly suggesting or inferring otherwise.

RC