Interesting Pre-WWII Uniform to WWI Naval Aviator Re-tread

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired this uniform and thought it was interesting. The tag is hard to read, but I was able to determine this is the uniform of John M. L. Rutherfurd.

The date and rank in the uniform match very closely to when he re-entered the USN on the eve of WWII (April 1939) .

The wing intrigues me. It is not your typical WWII bullion wing. The wings curve downward, but based on the fact its embroidered on wool gabardine, im guessing its a 1930's wing (which is close to when the uniform was tailored) .

Listed below is his biography. He was one of the first Naval Aviators with his number being only 164. Notice that he lists prior service with the Flight Division of the US Army Signal Corps

IMG_1737.JPG

Here is a pic of Rutherfurd wearing his Yachting cap. It appears he was quite a Playboy.

ruther.JPG

Kurt

I don't know much about Navy uniforms but it's interesting - that looks like a USMC Dress Green uniform (whatever the Marines call the dress greens - I can't remember if "dress greens" is the right name or not.) I didn't realize the Navy ever used uniforms like that. I thought all Navy officer uniforms were either dark blue, khaki or white.

Second thing - look at his age. Born in 1888, he came back into the Navy in 1939 - at the age of 51! And that was before the war even started for the US. He must have seen it coming (I guess anybody could, back then) and wanted to be a part of it, even though at his age, nobody would have thought badly of him if he'd stayed in civilian life.

Hi Martin

His age when he went back on was one of the things I found interesting!

This uniform is known as a set of Aviation Greens, which was considered the working uniform at the time for the aviation branch of the Navy. It was mainly worn by officers but you do see CPO examples worn during WWII.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...