Fantastic Relics: 509th PIB "Gingerbread" Helmets

gingerbread

"B" company maybe? or ive used medical tape on the back of my helmet so you guys will see its me not the enemy and hold your fire?

Any idea what the tape on the back meant?

Yes it stands for B company. One of the helmets (M-2) has been identified with the serial number on it. The soldier was wounded in action and later died of wound. Place of finding was an aid station for a time. He is buried in US American Cemetery in Southern France (Draguignan if I can remember) But Gingerbread could tell more about it ;) ...

Yannick

• 2 months later...
Battle For Brest

Great find ! thumbsup.gif

[Découverte exceptionelle, très sympa, ça n'arrive pas souvent mais quand ça arrive c'est jubilatoire !!! :lol: :thumbsup: @+ ]

Regards,

Jeremy

• 2 months later...

I know this is a very old post.. but looks at those helmets they never get boaring or old!! drool2.gifdrool2.gifdrool2.gif

With all the talk of fake helmets going around lately maybe we should all have a look at some true beauty's! w00t.gif

Some very nice helmets thumbsup.gif , would it be possible to go through the process you used to clean them up to such a good standard?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
What a great discovery story! The helmets are beautiful! ~ Tim

It looks as though this topic has laid low for a while but somehow I just stumbled on it and am amazed

These helmets are nothing short of AMAZING. Everytime i see them I just tend to :jeal0001:

WOW: That is one hell of a Serious Find you got there D Bail M2 Airborne Helmet anall in there along with the fixed Bail

Extremly well done savage Find.. :thumbsup: .. Some History attached to them Helmets they came out very well

after beeing cleaned up made a great job on cleaning them up was well worth doing.. FANTASTIC!!

• 5 months later...

My new son in law 's grandfather who passsed away was a member of the 509th in WWII . He has little of his grandfathers days in the 509th . If you ever think of parting with one Please let me know , it would be a gift to him thanks

I've pinned this thread for a few weeks so, everyone has a chance to see these beauties. It's been a while since this thread was back to the top.

:)

Hi

Thanks for all your post.

Regards

Ben

How did you gain access to the local farms to find the helmets? Was it luck or did you find them by talking to the locals? I do love this story and as one other post said - I could look at them all day! Were you able to save all the liners as well?

Wish I knew you when I was living in The Netherlands from 2006 to 2009, I would have loved the opportunity to learn about the area.

Thanks for sharing.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Lucky 7th Armored

First time i saw these....HOLY CRAP!!!! That is so amazing..words cannot describe! Thank you for pinning this, this is just AWESOME!!

Haydn

I've seen these many times and I still think it is one of the finds of the century!!! Now them be's the real thang friends!!

Cheers,

Mike

The Easter bunny sure hid those well!! I love how well you have documented this find with pictures. Those things too have become part of the history of these helmets.

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful, find I was reading a para book from Normandy collection, love to hear the stories of finds, these look like the one in the book. Awesome History!