LCpl. Andrew F. Whitacre, KIA Aghanistan

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

Whitacre was from the very small town of Bryant, IN, population about 300, in Jay County. In a community that small, it hits pretty hard. This is the first Jay County casualty of the War on Terror.

I did not really know him or his family, though I live only about 8 miles from them. Andrew road in one of the museum’s M38 jeeps in a local parade last fall when he was home on leave after his first tour in Iraq. He was a striking young man in his Dress Blues.

My wife and I have taken off work so we and my 14-year-old daughter can attend his funeral tomorrow. My Class A's have been given quite a work out the last couple of years, as this is the third military funeral I will have attended. The other two were friends from my old Indiana National Guard unit who were KIA, also in Afghanistan.

Please keep the family of Andrew Francis Whitacre in your thoughts and prayers.

Andrew Francis Whitacre

Born, Feb. 4. 1987

Killed in Action, June 19, 2008, during combat operations in Farah Province of Afghanistan.

He served in 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1 Marine Expeditionary Force, Twentynine Palms, California.

Semper Fi Andrew!

Thanks for taking a moment to read this.

BKW

post-1-1214538186.jpg

Brian Keith

Thank you for your very kind replies.

I will tell his family, later this morning, that there are friends on the web who share their grief and pride.

BKW

Brian Keith

The local newspapers have had excellent coverage of his loss and funeral. They can be seen on the web at thecr.com and thestarpress.com .

The community was out in fine style and I was very impressed that most businesses and factories had their employees out to line the funeral route, holding flags and banners. One Japanese owned factory, FCC, that wasn't even actually on the route, had their employees out, probably close to 200 people. Figure the cost to that factory to stop production for at least one hour, with that many employees! Quite a statement by that factory!

As a side note, one of Whitacare's uncles, was the Medical CPO on the USS Cole when it was hit with a loss of 13 lives. He donated the coverall uniform he was wearing that day to the museum. He is now retired and spoke at the funeral.

Thanks to all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers for the family. I will pass along your sympathy to the family.

BKW