Special Order Vietnam TRU-BAL Throwing / Fighting Knife

48stars

Picked this up over the weekend from a guy that's been telling me about it for over a year but whenever i see him, nothing. He rarely shows at the swap meet but there he was on Sunday with this knife in his bag. Says he's been looking at it since he was a kid and his Dad carried it in Vietnam. After a couple hours of research turning up nothing but similar styles I decided to contact the Company that is now run by the son of TRU-BAL founder Harry K. McEvoy, Steve McEvoy. Harry has passed and Steve continues the manufacturing of the his Fathers standard designs. I know very well to buy the piece and not the story so there was no problem with me buying this knife at 15 bucks, it was old, cool, and certainly worth the money. But here is what Steve McEvoy had to say about this piece leading me to believe the story is accurate.

Sean,

This knife is not a standard Battle Blade although it strongly resembles Battle Blade styling. I would classify it as a Battle Blade variant, non-standard, and possibly a "one of a kind". The sheath is also non-standard. Age is difficult to determine, but I would place it between 1968 and 1973. It was probably made as a personal carry knife by and for my father, later sold - or a Special Order combat knife for an active military purchaser. The Special Order is the most likely possibility as he did not write on the back of the sheath which he usually did for his personal carry knives. In either case, you have a very collectible Tru-Bal knife. If you want a "Certificate of Authenticity" I can provide one for a cost of $25.00. This authenticates the collector value of the knife. If desired, send me a check or money order for $25.00 along with your request and color photographs of the knife and sheath side by side, both sides. Also measure the knife from tip to tang for exact length. It appears to be over 13 inches in length. Place a one foot ruler below the knife for size reference. Nice find.
Steve
And another response from an avid collector of these knives -
Hi Sean,
I know of quite a few Tru Bal collectors and old friends of Harry McEvoys... let me send some emails out and I'll get back to you with whatever I find! I've sen alotta Tru Bals and I've never seen that design wither. Thanks for sharing!

Scott

post-8058-0-04146400-1412115730.jpg

post-8058-0-68868200-1412115752.jpg

Thanks sactroop, but Wow! It seems these days with the regulars that if there's only something nice to say then don't say anything at all :D I'll have to post another questionable item soon and get this place rollin again.

The silence might speak more to the rarity of the knife than a lack of general civility. I happen to think this is one of the best places on the net for expertise and I believe people might just get a little self conscious and wait for someone to come in with a gem of knowledge.

Me I know I'm just an FNG, hoping some smarts rub off while I'm around. :lol: