USMC marked items

collector

Was scanning two recent posts (the cleaning kit and pick mattock cover), and since I have an interesting example, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on USMC markings. I know we have discussed this topic over the years, but don't think there is a dedicated thread on the subject. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone will let me know.

One things for sure, Marine markings are a very interesting topic on their own.

Anyway, here is a late war wire cutter pouch I got from a forum member a while ago, don't remember who.

I would have sworn it was Depot made, but check out the LITE MFG. stamp, as well as the much discussed small font U.S.M.C. stamp.

I think most on the forum believe the small font stamp to be bogus.

Lite made some items that were a bit unusual, one in my collection is an Lite Mfg. USMC officer's bag, very similar to the Froelich version, and different from the Boyt I have.

Since the wire cutter pouch has all the earmarks of a Marine item, why would a dealer stamp it USMC, or is the stamp original? Seems like most fakers would stamp an item just USMC, or maybe throw in a Boyt for luck too, but LITE MFG?

LITE stamp good, USMC stamp bad?

So until someone posts a picture of another, I am at a loss except for speculation.

We have seen some odd behavior from dealers, so who knows.

DAvid

post-1414-0-09073500-1412111341.jpg

Very interesting; the only thing I can say is that I've never seen a Marine Wire Cutter Pouch with any stampings, save for the occasional surviving cutter tag, which is always dated.

The Pouch is the real deal, but I don't know about the stamp. Sorry to sound dumb, but I don't want to be a know-it-all, either (I wish we still had the "thinking" Emoticon).

Nice pouch David,

Lite MFG had contracts with the Marine Corps for some canvas gear in late WWII. The wire cutter pouch shows all the signs of being a Marine contract made item as the type belt hook and the dome snap used. I have a USMC 1944 dated marked map case made by Lite MFG it also is the OD #7 shade.

I've also seen Lite MFG USMC late WWII OD #7 cartridge belts as well but they are rare and I guess this is the start of the darker OD USMC gear.

Some guys are asking why would these military dealer mark gear with a USMC stamp to sell it? there is more Army gear than Marine gear out there and here in the upper midwest you do not see very much WWII Marine gear and most all of it is WWII Army so anyway to get is sold and to enhance it ! that is why guys paint cars red when selling them because a red car will sell faster than other colors and that is why they call it resale red!

I was told long ago by a WWII Vet that when guys went into the military in the Midwest areas the military put them in the US Army because they hunted and knew lay of the land which is very similar to Europe were as guys on the coast were more custom to beach and Island areas and was more like the south pacific. I don't know how true it is?

Craig

Very interesting; the only thing I can say is that I've never seen a Marine Wire Cutter Pouch with any stampings, save for the occasional surviving cutter tag, which is always dated.

The Pouch is the real deal, but I don't know about the stamp. Sorry to sound dumb, but I don't want to be a know-it-all, either (I wish we still had the "thinking" Emoticon).

Agreed.

I also have to ask with the books that have been published by Alec,Jim Moran and Glenn why havent these markings been shown or discussed.

Agreed.

I also have to ask with the books that have been published by Alec,Jim Moran and Glenn why havent these markings been shown or discussed.

Agreed, that's why It would be good to have a thread on the topic, not just for our reference, but as a help and quick reference guide for those new to the collecting field.

I've been gathering Marine gear since 1957 (I was seven, and our fathers got us kids whatever we wanted to play Marines) and am still learning, luckily I fell in with all of you.

It's nice to have a LITE marked pouch, even with the other marking added.

Yes, I have or have read those books, unfortunately no one does as yet know everything on the subject.

As I said in my first post, I know the pouch is real, and the small usmc is considered bogus.

I can see the LITE being added too, since the pouch has that Depot look and feel.

Just can't figure out why someone would add a LITE mark, instead of, for example, a fake Boyt stamp, which we have seen before.

I'm with Jim, where's that 'thinking' emoticon when we need it?

Anybody want to start adding shots of markings, legit or otherwise? Both are learning tools.