C-119 , 732nd TCS, Grenier AFB, circa 1962

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

I too have found memories of the Flying Boxcar. It was one of the few aircraft my mother could identify and I remember when I was a little girl in Quincy, MA they would fly overhead (probably from Grenier) and she would point them out to me by name.

It was a big, bad girl, wasn't it -- huge even in 1/72!

When I was in Basic Training one of the guys was an Air Force brat who was born in a C-119. He decided to meet the world early and his mom couldn't wait until it landed. A slang term for the C-119 was the dollar nineteen.

When I was a kid late 50s, early 60s, C-119s would fly over all the time. As I recall they were assigned to Hanscom AFB, in Bedford, MA. They were very loud, and could be heard for miles. When I went to Jump School in 1970, they were still using C-119s for training new paratroopers. In fact during "ZERO" week, I got to pull deployment bags from those planes. The rivets in the C-119s were so loose, you could see them vibrating on the fuselage. My jumps were all from C-130s at school. Good memories! SKIP

Nice job on the C-119. My brother flew C-119's out of Kincheloe AFB. He would fly over our small town in WI every once in awhile. They were cool looking birds. I have a picture of my other brother and myself in the cockpit when we were kids.

Regards, Mitch