USMC depot made pick mattock cover

robinb

Hello,

depot made gear items have square end tips ... I seriously doubt this items is depot made, even with the USMC marking.

E

Sorry, I don't think that one is original.

I do have one original in my collection, you can compare for yourself.

Although similar USMC stamps have appeared on DQP items, I don't have a good feeling about that one.

9687079637_186e15de18_c.jpg
9687080377_fd52af2cda_c.jpg
9687081157_8f0ff81df7_c.jpg
9687081825_21d1390353_c.jpg
9690321616_3a8756eccd_c.jpg
-Steve

I feel the same with Steve1987

Here is the same small type style USMC stamp on a M1 Carbine cleaning pouch that was just talked about here and was applied in the 1950's by a Military surplus dealer. I've also seen this same stamp on unissued WWII Woodsman pal canvas covers.

Craig

post-7997-0-73788200-1411952848.jpg

I don't know if I'd write it off just yet, fellas...this stamp is different from the bogus ones, and it's identical to the ones on

several pieces I've seen through the years. The strap tips are odd for early Marine gear, to be sure,

but maybe it's just a variant we are not familiar with.

Below, an old Shovel Cover I picked up in years gone by...

post-3226-0-46200100-1411957881.jpg

Here's a line up of various covers from my collection. Left to right: RIA 1908, MILLS 1912, new USMC, WW1 contract, 1944 and British Made.

MVC-072S.JPG

MVC-073S.JPG

The most similar is the MILLS 1912. Same style of edging material to the large tube for the handle, and same way of sewing the small loop with no exposed stitches. This loop on WW1 and later covers is sewn differently with the stitches exposed.

And as previously stated the wire hook has been replaced using heavy thread.

MVC-074S.JPG

As the question been asked why does it have a different hook and the round metal tip on the strap like the Army issued made one?

One of the long time forum members here was at a military show a few years back and stop at table and met a dealer from England that was selling all kinds of unmarked without the (US) stamp Army field gear from WWII? The forum member told me that was odd? so the member started ask about it and was told that he got it all out of Russia?

All this unmarked WWII US field gear was lend lease to Russia and was not stamp with the (US) at all due to being lend leased some of it was used and some mint unissed. What if someone? had a stamp made up and started to mark some of this stuff gear with the original USMC markings and sell and pass it off to unknowing people that is a USMC gear? now you took a $10 pick cover and turned it into a $50 and up cover pays for the stamp real fast.

I'm not for sure on this one? but as said if it's a depot made piece why isn't it the way rest are made? and if it's a post depot made it should have a manufactors markings and not the USMC depot stamp stamp? I have yet to see QMD made USMC legging with the round metal tip.

Craig

It looks to me as if the metal tip on the strap fell off and was replaced with the army version. So perhaps at one point it did have the square marine corps metal tip.

Guys,

I don't have a photo to back it up, but 25 years ago, I purchased a pick cover that was marked identically to robinb's. I sold it a few years ago, but it did have the square end tip and a "Marine" wire hanger. Looks to me like they were simply replaced on his example, as he has stated. Mine was found long before the stocks of Russian lend-lease gear were uncovered and I have to ask myself, why would a surplus dealer in the 1950s, only one decade after WW2, mark web gear with "U.S.M.C." when such common and plentiful surplus items (not collector's items) were literally selling for only pennies? Something to think about.

Regards, Paul

Craig, can you post a picture of a US made lend-lease to Russia pick mattock cover? I'd really like to see one for comparison sake.

Hey Robinb,

I don't have one, but I got looking and I have a pistol belt and is not marked with the US stamp but it is dated 1941 The guys on ebay pass them off as early USMC pistol belts but they are leand lease to Russia belts. Pre 98 on ebay was selling them as early USMC pistol belts for $350

Your pick cover could had been repaired and reissued?

It's a proven fact that Military surplus dealer in the 50's & 60's stamped WWI & WWII gear with the USMC marking to make it sell better.

This is one of those WWII Russian lend lease pouches with the fake USMC stamping

Craig

post-7997-0-99378500-1412112881.jpg

Hey Robinb,

I don't have one, but I got looking and I have a pistol belt and is not marked with the US stamp but it is dated 1941 The guys on ebay pass them off as early USMC pistol belts but they are leand lease to Russia belts. Pre 98 on ebay was selling them as early USMC pistol belts for $350

Your pick cover could had been repaired and reissued?

It's a proven fact that Military surplus dealer in the 50's & 60's stamped WWI & WWII gear with the USMC marking to make it sell better.

This is one of those WWII Russian lend lease pouches with the fake USMC stamping

Craig

Stamped in the 50's & 60's & 70's & 80's & 90's & in the early 2000's. I know an old crook that was doing it. He has since passed on to his "reward."

Ronnie

I find it interesting that because it has a USMC stamp some members think it has a 'chance'. I agree the stamp looks good, but it just doesn't add up in any other way.

Round tip and Army hanger --- no chance here. Robin, can you post more detailed photos to compare it to my cover? Let's take a closer look at the stitching/construction.

No other DQP gear has ever used the round tip. Calling this a new variation I think is a bit far-fetched.

-Steve

Stamped in the 50's & 60's & 70's & 80's & 90's & in the early 2000's. I know an old crook that was doing it. He has since passed on to his "reward."

Ronnie

Must be the guy who got ahold of my wire cutter pouch.

Collector the guy I'm talking about ruined a case of wire plier pouches. Not to mention many other items. In the 90's when Clinton closed some military base's they also shut down the huge Depot in Memphis. There was some great stuff in that place. Well it got harder for this old guy to get good stuff so he started making it. He had a guy that took a V/N era shotgun pouch, took it apart and and made a pattern. He then made a dozen or so....not realy sure how many but there are a good many of those out there today!