The life of Ensign Joseph Hittorff Jr...KIA Dec 7, 1941...

Pete-o MSU

I am going to try and do my best to photograph and describe this group. I won this recently at auction, and without Tarbridge's help would not have got it. Just wanted to give a shout out to Robert for being a great guy.

Here is a brief synopsis of his life

ENSIGN JOSEPH PARKER HITTORFF JR., was born in December of 1916 in New York to Joseph and Ethel Hittorff. He spent some of his early childhood in Springfield MA, where, according to the 1920 census, his father was working as a commercial traveler in the coffee business. The Hittorff family, which included his older sister Marion, relocated to Westmont NJ.

Joseph Hittorff Jr. graduated from Collingswood (NJ) High School in 1934. He was an Eagle Scout, and was the manager of his High school football team during his senior year. After high school, he attended the Brown Preparatory School for English and mathematics. He entered the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis MD in June 1936, and graduated in 1940. On July 1, 1940 he reported to the West Coast for his initial assignment. He was serving aboard the battleship USS Oklahoma when it was sunk during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. Trapped below deck when the ship capsized, he was one of 20 officers and 395 enlisted men to die aboard the ship that day.

Ensign Hittorff had completed all the requirements for promotion to Lieutenant Junior Grade, but the commission had not come through at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. Besides the Purple heart, he was posthumously awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal, the American Defense Medal, and the Victory Medal. He was survived by his parents and sister, of 211 Virginia Avenue, in Westmont NJ.

And now to the items...if anyone wants a close up of an item let me know and I will try and do my best...truly an honor to preserve his memory...

Pete

At a young age looks like he always wanted to be in the navy....

post-236-0-08359300-1411680953.jpg

On to the Naval Academy...graduated in the class of 1940...he kept incredible scrap books...and was a huge football fan...attended all of the Army Navy games...

post-236-0-11982600-1411681447.jpg

Ensign Hittorff is currently unidentified along with about 400 of his shipmates...when the Oklahoma was salvaged in 1943 some of his personal items were returned to his family...

post-236-0-10306900-1411682646.jpg

Those are some of the highlights I will get around to posting more when I can there are a lot of items...scrapbooks, yearbooks, about 200 letters, and lots of misc paperwork

Thanks for looking for now

Pete

post-236-0-80037900-1411683290.jpg