Flight Suit Question

cea1274

northcoastaero

I would say by 1967. The lightweight version of the CS/FRP-1 flight suit had a Velcro patch for the leather nameplate and

Velcro waist, cuffs, leg adjustments along with a Velcro closure on one for the upper leg pockets. I believe this lightweight

CS/FRP-1 suit was introduced in 1967? Also, one of the last versions of the USN/USMC tan cotton flight suits had a Velcro

patch for the nameplate, waist adjustments, and on the left chest area for the Mark-2A anti-g suit hose flap. This later tan

cotton flight suit was in use by 1967. I had a heavyweight pre 1967 CS/FRP-1 at one time and do not remember if there was

Velcro on this flight suit. I believe the USAF CWU-27/P with a Velcro nameplate and waist adjustments was introduced by

1968?

I have a govt contract erdl flight suit dated 67 with factory installed Velcro name tag.

So it's got to be ...... 67.

The most widespread use of Velcro must have been the float coat though.

Hi

For USN-USMC velcro first appeared for belt in 1961 (MIL-C-5390F) and in 22 march 1964 for belt and nameplate (MIL-C-5390G) both coveralls exist in khaki and orange. In 1964 a nylon OG coverall (XG-18) was or so issued with belt and nameplate velcro.

In 1964 was introduced the first OG coverall with velcro on belt, nameplate, wrist and legs, this first design in heavy caneva still use MIL-C-5390G specifications.

The next year appeared the MIL-C-81126A and in 3 december 1965 the MIL-C-81126B best known as CS FRP1.

That means that by 1964 nameplates with velcro backing were issued to USN-USMC.

About patches, the earliest original USN coverall I have with velcro backing if from Cdr Cramblet former XO of VA 65 in 1966 and CO in 1967.

post-1289-0-97637100-1411499803.jpg

About USAF CVWU 27/P the specification MIL-C-83141 is from 11 feb 1969. (USN only received the first 2500 sets in january 1965).

Best

Croc

Thanks CROC for those very detailed infos,

please just one thing I didn't understand - were you meaning the Navy really received its CWU-27/P as early as January 1965 nonetheless or, could this be a typing error?

US Army Aviation was still wearing sew-on insignia on NOMEX 1972-75, and I think even later. I never got velcro until about 1979 or so, and that was when I was working with the USAF. Other units may have worn VELCRO earlier-- I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This message is for Croc,

Re Post:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182106-m-1-for-the-1st-co-of-the-uss-south-carolina-dlgn-37/?hl=%2Bwilliam+%2Bneel

Indeed Admiral Neel was the 1st CO for the USS South Carolina, I was there at the commisioning. I was also aboard the USS Enterprise as a youngster.

I came across this link by accident, looking for info to give my kids about the S. Carolina and was surprised to see your post and that the helmet was on eBay.

Would you be willing to sell this helmet? ...we would just like to get it back in the family.

Thank you,

William D. Neel

williamneel at yahoo dot com

Dad tells me that from his first combat mission, which would be late 67, they wore velcro to "sterilize" their flight suits in combat. (USAF, TAC).

nguoi tien su

The practice tends to really develop by 1968, especially with F-105 aircrews.

The ERDL flight suit Owen is showing was worn by pilots from the 8th TFW at Ubon and some also others based at Takhli. The crews who participated in the experimental Tropic Moon program were also issued such garments. That was the first time the USAF was officially using the velcro.

The local ERDL were often seen by late 1968 and in 1969. Few exemples were worn after 1970.