My Dad

VarkDriver

My dad passed away July 22, 2014. He was one of the "greatest generation." He was drafted during WW2 and was in the pipeline to go to pilot training when the AAC decided they had enough pilots to finish the war. His class of guys were then offered to train in other aviation fields so they could still slip the surly bonds. Dad chose aerial gunnery as he was always interested in firearms. He did so well in training they kept him in the States as a gunnery instructor. He eventually talked his way into the war and went to the 486BG/832BS as a tail gunner in B-17s. His crew worked their way up to lead crew and he had to give up his seat to the formation commander (good view of your group from the tail of the lead aircraft). He then was a waist gunner. He flew 25 missions before VE day.

After the war he went to college on the GI Bill and also went thru ROTC. He got commissioned in the reserves. During the Korean War he was a Captain in charge of combat engineers. He built airfields and then when the Chicoms came across their border he blew up all the things they had built (to deny them to the enemy). After Korea dad got RIFed since he was a Reserve officer. He had the opportunity to stay in the Army at his enlisted rank. He liked the Army life enough that he did just that. Eventually he worked up to Sergeant Major and retired at that rank in 1975 after 28.5 years on active duty. Another 1.5 years in the inactive reserves and he reverted back to his highest rank of Captain. When I graduated from college and USAF ROTC he got to swear me into the service and he pinned his butter bars on me. (Still have the bars in case anyone in the family ever needs to be commissioned!) He retired out to the family farm and spent his time hunting, fishing, and traveling with mom (who preceeded him in death in 2001). His last years were good ones as he got to do whatever he wanted to, whenever he wanted to! He died quickly of a heart attack and thankfully was active up to the end. The one big "hiccup" to his happiness was in 2012 when he lost everything he had in a wildfire. He collected firearms, militaria, etc all his life and lost it all. All except the things he gave over the years. I have a small collection of WW2 rifles, pistols, gear, and patches that he gave me throughout the years. He'll be missed.

VarkDriver...

Wow!...you must be really proud of him...

He must have been proud of you as he gave you all that cool stuff...

He sounds like a brave character...

Sorry for your loss.He is not only a father but your best friend.

Thanks for sharing his story and he is one of the silent generation.They served and continued to serve and did so with pride and honor.

I'll never know how the fliers did what they did - every time up they could find themselves plummeting to the ground. Well, he's with his buddies again. Thank you both for your service.