508 PIr question

warcollect1942

warcollect1942

I can't decide if this is good or bad. The big white fist didn't look right. Then I saw Steins book

with the same fist. These horns look more curved. Then I saw some patches from sellers I trust

That led me to believe it's real. I am confused. I don't if I should keep it or toss it. I does not glow

but it is not real pliable Any opinions?

post-28946-0-44349300-1411260646.jpg

post-28946-0-18745800-1411260664.jpg

Absolutely nothing wrong with your patch, other than the fact that it's not WWII era. It's looks to be a completely original POST WWII pocket patch for this unit. This design was worn in the 1950's and early 60's.

PS- I would not go by ANYTHING in Stein's book as far as judging authenticity, there are tons of fantasy, fake, and misidentified patches both the old and new versions.

Greetings,

I don't know if I would use this as a "rule of thumb" but WWII era patches (and perhaps immediately afterwards) are "fat devils" and post war are "skinny devil" versions. Perhaps someone can post a comparison image? I only "skinny devil" versions.

I concur with my esteemed colleague originally from the West Coast: It's still a nice original patch, just not WWII vintage.

Best,

Peter

These are all WW2 types.There are also some "fat boys" from the time the 508th was in Japan in the 50s and seen then japanese made.Assuming here the japanes "copied" an older patch provided for the design.

The one with the stitching on it belonged to a good friend who was a 508th Pathfinder at Normandy.He had been with the 508th since day one and had several patches all the grey twill back.He was captured at Normandy but was released/escaped.Served in Holland and the Bulge.

The second patch is from a Battalion Surgeon.508th from early on as well.

.......Normandy,Holland,Bulge,Germany and Occupation.

Note his ovals are silver bordered and not the white as normally seen and accepted.He had a stack of about 30 of these ovals.All the same.

post-342-0-76032200-1411610631.jpg

post-342-0-72826900-1411610776.jpg

Patchcollector

Thanks Doyler for posting those very nice(as usual!) examples.I've held off picking up an example of this patch because I saw an amazing variety of variants for such a simple design,and did'nt feel comfortable with any I saw due to my lack of knowledge about these.

The photos of yours are very helpful.

Thanks Doyler for posting those very nice(as usual!) examples.I've held off picking up an example of this patch because I saw an amazing variety of variants for such a simple design,and did'nt feel comfortable with any I saw due to my lack of knowledge about these.

The photos of yours are very helpful.

PC

thanks.Im still learning myself.

I should re-do the pictures.The one is a scan and is distorted from resizing.

I still struggle with the digital camera to find a great setting for items being photographed.

I have since added anothe wool version of the patch.The one shown was a real moth magnet.It was the first one I had seen and I was at a ASMIC show in Kansas City many years ago.I dont recall what I gave for it but it was more than reasonable as no one wanted it and I thought it was perfect for my use.

The 508th is one of my all time favorite units.

Here is a local vets suit.This was worn prior to the unit when it was not yet part of the 82nd.He sent this home before they shipped out to England in February of 1944(so he told me).I would love to add his group to my collection someday

post-342-0-15752700-1411618406.jpg

post-342-0-83908100-1411618519.jpg

I have always heard that the first version was the wool type and it is definitely harder to find. Do not know about fat or skinny devils, but looked more at whether there were single risers or double risers on the chute. Believe the double type are earlier. Mort

Mort,

I know that there are different theories about the wool patches, but I firmly believe that the wool 508th is a "Boots and Chutes" piece. I have two 508th pocket patches that belonged to the supply sergeant in the 508th's cadre and they are definitely NOT wool pieces. Nobody would have had an earlier example than the cadre supply sergeant to my mind.

Allan